Esteemed Contributor

Planes?, trains?, buses?, and boats?

[ Edited ]

I was just thinking today, my 3 granddaughters (17,15, 11), have never been on a plane, a train, or a bus (other than school buses). 1 has been on a boat with her friend, but that's it on boats.

I have been on a plane many times (years back- I don't travel anymore), a bus (many many times b/c i lived in the city). Also I have been on boats lots of times at the shore and lake. Lastly I used to take the train to Philly a lot as a kid with my Nana to shop down there, and I loved going on the train!

Of course there is still time for them to go on all of the above, but I bet they wont ever know the joy of a train ride.

My own kids have never flown or been on a train either and my daughter is afraid to fly, (but not my son). Yet my kids have bungee jumped and all that kind of daring stuff!

Well anyway it just dawned on me today. Maybe we should all take a train ride...lol. I was looking it up and there are some short rides not too far from here. So that's what made me think of all this.

Have you been on all of the above?

PS also my grand kids have never been in a taxi cab (other than all of us taxing them around..lol). I have been in those many times too, of course having lived in the city.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Planes?, trains?, buses?, and boats?

yep, all of the above

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

Traveled on all of them.  Train rides are great.......a good way to see the countryside.  It is a 5 hour ride from where we live to our daughter's place in Chicago.  Flying is half hour to an hour, but the train is much more relaxing. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

I've been on all of them many times, with planes being my predominate and preferred mode of travel. I HATE riding on a bus. The train is ok if it's something like the Alaskan Railroad or there's a business class car, otherwise I try to avoid that as well. I'm not one to want to take a ride just to look at things. 

Esteemed Contributor

I was born and partially raised in NYC and I'm certain I rode in a train (subway) and bus before I was a year old.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

I live on Lake Erie and have lots of friends with sailboats. Plus my boyfriend and best friend both have camps in the Adirondacks and we kayak or take the pontoon boat on all the interconnected lakes.

My grandfather was an engineer on the railroad, so we used to take the train to visit relatives when I was little (I'm now 61). I've also taken the train to Montreal and Quebec, NYC and been on the subway and our local mass transit train.

I can walk out my front door, walk around the corner and take the bus downtown - it takes about 10 minutes (including all the stops). It's better than finding a parking spot in a ramp and fighting traffic.

And I fly 6-8 times a year.

If your grandchildren ever visit the East Coast, they should definitely take the train or the subway. It's too bad that train travel is so restricted now. It saves a lot of natural resources.

Honored Contributor

There is not as much 'trainage' out here in the West Coast and west coast adjacent areas, where I've lived much of my  life.  But when I lived in Europe I rode on a zillion trains. 

The trains in Europe were a great experience and, I'll tell you one thing - don't be late!  They always left right on time and if you were having to get off of one train to embark another you better be running if the time is close.

Riding through France had some problems but, other than that, I've used trains in numerous countries with great success.

I've beenon the other modes mentioned many times, too.  Probably the least of which would be busses.  (wait, buses?)  oy, I cannot remember the spelling. 

In other news - the thread title reminded me of the hilarious movie 'Trains, Planes, and Automobiles' with Steve Martin and John Candy.  One of the funniest scenes was with Edie McClurg and Steve Martin at the car rental counter.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

One of my treasured childhood memories is the train ride my mother and I would take to Chicago at Christmastime.  We would board in Harvard, IL and arrive in the Loop.  After seeing "The Nutcracker" matinee and the department store window displays, we would dine at Berghoff's before the ride home.    

Honored Contributor

While growing up in San Antonio and having many of my father's family living in St. Louis, we (my sis and I) made many trips on the train......MoPac...... We always enjoyed that trip.  And also on many occasions we took the Greyhound back and forth.  My first plane trip was to Vegas.....that was a wonderful flight, and fortunately in my 20's, a friend of mind had access to a yacht.....part owner......and we took a cruise on the Missouri and Mississippi.....he even let us steer it.  What a thrill that was. 

Have a lot in my life to be thankful for. 

Respected Contributor

I have never been on a plane! Smiley Very Happy