Respected Contributor

Re: Plagiarism in the forums -- a big deal or not?

i think most posters can recognize when a post is a copy/paste especially if the entire work is posted   .  you may have to secure persmission. it depends on the scope of the copyright.   in any case, such a post should be cited.  reference made to author or origin

outtakes for commentary, critcism or parody : "Fair Use" 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

NOT. This is a discussion forum not a term paper or a work presentation,or a formal debate. 

People might consider typing here from their head in lieu of using the technological, copy/paste. I have no experience with the words "term paper/work presentation/formal debate". Presentations? Yes. Formal debate? No.  Debate? Yes.  

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I see it quite often on the forums here where it is clear by the way the poster wrote it (especially if you are familiar with their normal writing style) that it is not their own words but c/p from a source but they are passing it off as their own words. I have actually done the litmus test of copying the questionable post and put it into google and sure enough, it is word for word from a particular website, lol.

I try to remember to always at least mention where I got the information (e.g. I said "from the FDA's website" on something I quoted a few days ago). I have seen people actually plagiarise my own posts before, almost word for word from some past things I've written, lol. I suppose I should be flattered? But I will never c/p something in a post and try to pass it off like it is my own words if it is not!

I really wish people would include the source of their information when they are clearly c/p it directly from a source. There are many times I wouldn't even bother reading a post if I knew the source it came from. There are so many irresponsible, incorrect, uninformed and frankly dangerous websites out there spewing stuff with no real proof behind their claims and statements.

Honored Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

You've got to be kidding me, right.   This is all you have to worry about....

One woman's/man's trash can be another woman's/man's treasure.

Just in case, I am paraphrasing.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

http://www.plagiarism.org/plagiarism-101/what-is-plagiarism/

"WHAT IS PLAGIARISM?

Many people think of plagiarism as copying another's work or borrowing someone else's original ideas.

But terms like "copying" and "borrowing" can disguise the seriousness of the offense:

According to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, to "plagiarize" means

• to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own
• to use (another's production) without crediting the source
• to commit literary theft
• to present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source

In other words, plagiarism is an act of fraud. It involves both stealing someone else's work and lying about it afterward.

But can words and ideas really be stolen?

According to U.S. law, the answer is yes. The expression of original ideas is considered intellectual property and is protected by copyright laws, just like original inventions. Almost all forms of expression fall under copyright protection as long as they are recorded in some way (such as a book or a computer file).

All of the following are considered plagiarism:

• turning in someone else's work as your own
• copying words or ideas from someone else without giving credit
• failing to put a quotation in quotation marks
• giving incorrect information about the source of a quotation
• changing words but copying the sentence structure of a source without giving credit
• copying so many words or ideas from a source that it makes up the majority of your work, whether you give credit or not (see our section on "fair use" rules)

Most cases of plagiarism can be avoided, however, by citing sources. Simply acknowledging that certain material has been borrowed and providing your audience with the information necessary to find that source is usually enough to prevent plagiarism....... "

"In the interest of disseminating this information as widely as possible, plagiarism.org grants all reprint and usage requests without the need to obtain any further permission as long as the URL of the original article/information is cited."

from www.plagiarism.org

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is going off topic.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

I think it is a big deal. I try to include my source or a link when mentioning information I found at another website.  If nothing else, it's a courtesy to the original source.  I've seen people ask posters to just copy/paste rather than provide a link.  I might copy/paste a few sentences and mention a source, but I don't think it's appropriate to copy/paste long articles.  

It's hard to tell if providing a link will be acceptable to QVC's moderators because they sometimes delete links but leave other links.  I see we definitely can't post links to other retail sites, but they seem to be more willing to allow links from news sites. 

agreed!

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

When you're looking for additional information on a topic, search engines are the way to go.

@SusieQ_2

In my experiences? Not always. There are good sources on search engines and?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

When you're looking for additional information on a topic, search engines are the way to go.

@SusieQ_2

In my experiences? Not always. There are good sources on search engines and?

hckynut(john)

I agree @hckynut (John Smiley Happy). Making sure information is reliable is as important as finding it! 

Respected Contributor

As usual, I think, my take on the subject varies from the norm.  What I've seen (too often for my liking) are some posters who appear to have Googled / 'crammed' on a topic, then come back and post as though they are absolute authorities on the subject with the final word.  While they may not be guilty of plagiarism, per se, they are--in my opinion-- guilty of needing to appear large and in charge and of not having an original thought.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.