Honored Contributor

Re: Plagiarism in the forums -- a big deal or not?

No big deal.

Respected Contributor

People check posts by putting text into Google?  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

One of my pet peeves is not citing a source for writings/thoughts that are not your own.  I've found several instances here in the forums where a poster found something intelligent sounding on the internet and included it in their post w/out properly crediting the original source.  It's so easy to check by just putting the text into google.

What's your opinion?  Big deal or not?

OMG!!!!  AM I BACK IN COLLEGE?  Let me run get my references style sheet?  LOL!!!

Big deal here?  Nah.  Nice but certainly not necessary.  Especially since now you read and hear so much you can't remember where you heard it.

Exactly. Most people are not going to be keeping conscious track of where they heard/read everything.  

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Beachy1 wrote:

This is what I thought, too!  I cannot believe anyone would bother with this . . .

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Op I honestly don't see much of this going on here.  I only site the source usually when I share gossip of stars (for proof) .One can tell I use my own words, on here.lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could care less what someone writes. This is just a shopping community for gosh sakes!  As long as the information is correct, easy to read and answers a question or query, that is all that matters to me.

Honored Contributor

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:
I've found several instances here in the forums where a poster found something intelligent sounding on the internet and included it in their post w/out properly crediting the original source.  

I have a feeling this is all about a

particular Poster and not Sources. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Beachy1 wrote:

@bri20

In the case I was referring to, it was an online, copyrighted article that couldn't be posted or reprinted without the author's permission. It's against the law and I'm guessing this author may have been tired of people using the information without her permission so she did some searches.  

Honored Contributor

Those are the posts I don't read.   

Super Contributor

My opinion:  If somebody's posting their opinion they don't need a source.  If they post facts they shouldn't be afraid to post a source.  Doesn't matter if it's a shopping forum, I don't think that's a good excuse to give people inaccurate info.  Maybe social media's made us lazy about caring?

If we c&p we should have the integrity to cite the source and place quotation marks around quoted text.  If somebody tries to pass off another person's words as theirs, they're not confident in themselves imho.  Plagiarism is stealing but it won't ruin my day to see someone think their own words aren't good enough.

My opinion, not here to fight (as someone's siggy says lol).