Respected Contributor

Re: Placed MY LAST WalMart .com order

@QVCkitty1 

I know this doesn't help the OP, but I live in rural Georgia.  I've had nothing but good luck with Wal Mart this past year.  This is saying something when I say that Wal Mart has far surpassed the efficiency of Kroger. 

I find myself more often than not checking Wal Mart before going to Amazon these days. 

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3  Take the money and run for your time and inconvenience to fix everything.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

There may be some quirk in your state tax law that causes them to charge tax.  In NM we have no tax on groceries unless they are delivered.  Then they are taxed.  You might check the the state tax office. 

@Kachina624  It is only Walmart that charges my groceries tax... no other websites or companies

Honored Contributor

@Georgiagrama wrote:

@QVCkitty1 

I know this doesn't help the OP, but I live in rural Georgia.  I've had nothing but good luck with Wal Mart this past year.  This is saying something when I say that Wal Mart has far surpassed the efficiency of Kroger. 

I find myself more often than not checking Wal Mart before going to Amazon these days. 

@Georgiagrama , I hear you. Some things Amazon is better, sometimes it's Walmart. I' m so glad the both are available.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not giving up on Walmart just yet.  Sure, they've given me problems with ordering, but not enough to justify dumping them.  They are cheaper than Amazon (a lot of the time) for me in my area.

For one thing, I don't order food from them as there is no local store for me to do that.  I order other items, like personal care, household (paper goods) some snacks and so on.  I never, ever, ever buy anything from their third party vendors.  I don't do that on Amazon either.  If it is not shipped and sold by Walmart, then I will not get it.

I get my stuff in a timely fashion (sometimes on dates before the estimated delivery); have no tax problems and I all I need to get free shipping is to spend $35.00.  They are averaging about the same as Amazon (for me).  Amazon's customer service has been difficult to reach a person lately, but not at Walmart.  Someone answers the phone 24/7.  Food in my state is taxed if it is prepared for take out.  All other food is not taxed in my state.

After having said all of this, I hope I don't begin to develop shipping and order problems from Walmart!  LOL.

OP: make sure there have been no new changes in your State's collection of sales tax.  Some states can get greedy because they feel they are not getting the tax they think they rightfully deserve.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I sympathize with you completely. so tired of websites now charging tax on items that here in MD we do not pay tax on. I refuse to buy supplements on SHQ for that reason. Talking to deaf ears is so frustrating. 

Might be a good idea to double check with your State's department of taxation to make sure there have been no changes to the collection of sales tax on certain items since the pandemic.  You never know.

Esteemed Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

This doesn't help any of you, but I have great luck with Walmart. A year or so ago I had trouble with Fed Ex, Walmart's delivery system, but now everything comes on time, and sometimes early. It may not last , but so far so good.

@QVCkitty1I have exceptional delivery service from Walmart.  They do make mistakes, but not nearly as much as some other places I shop.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

There may be some quirk in your state tax law that causes them to charge tax.  In NM we have no tax on groceries unless they are delivered.  Then they are taxed.  You might check the the state tax office. 

@Kachina624  It is only Walmart that charges my groceries tax... no other websites or companies

What other grocery websites do you use?  It could be that your state wants in on that internet sales tax buying.  You know they can be greedy. 

I remember shopping at Nordstrom before they finally got my state's sales tax squared away.  They would charge me for it then it would drop off after processing.  I hated that, but after all these years, they've finally got it right!

Honored Contributor

Suggest you call your state IRS to complain.  If your state is similar to mine, they will fine Walmart.  

I have never been taxed on food items online or home delivery.  One time for clothing from a third party seller. I called my state IRS and was told Amazon is worse for charging tax on nontaxable items.  

Call your state IRS to report Walmart charging tax on food items.  My state fines retailers for charging tax on nontaxable items.  You might be able to get a refund from your state.  I did.

A Walmart supervisor said all taxes are sent to the states, so Walmart isn't stealing it.  It sounds like a glitch in their system or the IT dept is too lazy to fix it.  

Those low on the totem pole like customer service are unable to fix it.   In fact, they are more likely to tell us our states do charge taxes on food items because they don't know.  

Blame Fedex for lost boxes.

I'm disappointed that Walmart switched to Fedex from UPS, but, then the reason might be UPS  stopped delivering Walmart packages during the Christmas holidays as they did other retailers.  I always complain about Fedex on Walmart's surveys hoping they will return to UPS.

Fedex lost two of my boxes during the Christmas season, and late with others.  Walmart quickly refunded my money.  It was posted onto my account the same day.  No questions asked. 

I was told by a customer service agent that losing boxes is rather common.  Shocked, I asked why?  Well, blame it on Fedex.  Personally, I think they are stolen by temporary drivers.  Studies show employees are responsible for most stolen products, not customers.  

Despite a few problems with Walmart over the past 15 years I have been ordering online and about six months home grocery delivery, I am more than pleased, but learned not to buy anything from third party sellers anymore at Walmart.  My worst experiences were with Amazon.  

Honored Contributor

I have a funny story about Instacart.  I ordered  1 poundsof bananas in my recent order.  I got 1 banana and a bag of apples which I did not order.  I did not try to correct it.  We will eat the apples and I will just run by Fresh Market and pick up some bananas as I have to be over that way for Pet Smart.