Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pippa Wants Wedding Guests To Change Clothes

Good thing I wasn't invited!

Image result for dog laughing

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

@stevieb  I agree.  There was an article in Vanity Fair I believe whereby some researchers studied the very issue you are describing.  They found that divorce was directly proportional to the money spent on the wedding.  The higher the amount, the higher the rate of divorce.  Interesting is it not?

Valued Contributor

I have been invited to two weddings without my husband. Both were and still are very good friends of mine. Both had met my husband. One was for financial reasons which I understood the other I'm not sure about. After these weddings my son was married in a very small wedding and reception. I didn't invite either of them at all or any of our friends due to the couple wanting a small intimate family wedding. We all accept our decisions and remain the best of friends. 

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

@stevieb  I agree.  There was an article in Vanity Fair I believe whereby some researchers studied the very issue you are describing.  They found that divorce was directly proportional to the money spent on the wedding.  The higher the amount, the higher the rate of divorce.  Interesting is it not?

Hey @Deanie Very interesting, but not surprising. When the couple and their families are so very invested in the spectacle aspects of the event, well, maybe that says something... If the object is for a couple to commit themselves to each other, and even given most people want it to be pretty and memorable, doing so doesn't require flying the wedding party off to Kokomo to be joined in wedded bliss on the beach at sunset, nor does it require staging a floor show worthy of the MGM Grand... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

Can anyone really trust the news?  

@GSPgirl

Yes, but it obviously depends on the news source.   Too many people here get their news from the gossip rags .... you know, the alien baby, Elvis is still alive, etc etc. 

Honored Contributor

I have attended maybe 2 weddings in my life where the reception was immediately following the church ceremony.  In those instances, I wore the same clothing.

For all other weddings, there was plenty of time to go home or to the hotel in between the ceremony and reception and I always changed. 

If there was a lot of time between the ceremony and reception, arrangements were always made for those who were too far to drive back home and those who were staying at a hotel. 

Super Contributor

What are they changing to?

Respected Contributor

I was invited to a wedding where we were to wear dinner clothes for church. The reception was in a huge tent and we were to change into party down clothes.  Since I wasn't interested I just sent a check in a card.

I have also been invited to a desination wedding. If you couldn't attend they asked for money to pay for their dream.  I just sent a card.

Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

I was invited to a wedding where we were to wear dinner clothes for church. The reception was in a huge tent and we were to change into party down clothes.  Since I wasn't interested I just sent a check in a card.

I have also been invited to a desination wedding. If you couldn't attend they asked for money to pay for their dream.  I just sent a card.

Good for you... I always figure, their dream... not mine. 

And really, more times than not, her dream...

Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

While I grant you that I decline most invitations to weddings, almost all I've been to or to which I've sent 'regrets' have had the reception following the ceremony. In some cases it might be an hour or so after, but thank heavens there's been none of this several hours later stuff... Honestly, I get it that most weddings are an exercise in self-absorption, but, close friends and family aside, I know of very few people who want to invest an entire day and evening reveling in someone else's nuptials...