Honored Contributor

Re: Pippa Wants Wedding Guests To Change Clothes

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

When there's a long time frame between ceremony and reception, that's the norm.  You wear something nice to Mass or service, go home (NAP lol) and then change into something glitzy for the reception.

@ missy1 wrote:

I have been to a lot of weddings over the years, and the time between the ceremony and reception was minimal. I think it is so rude to make your guests wait hours and hours. How if the guests are from out of town, but not far enough to stay in a hotel? I like a wedding where the ceremony and reception are in the same place, or close by each other.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's her wedding so one surmises she can do as she wishes. That said, my view is that weddings continue to become increasingly ridiculous, glaring displays of conspicuous consumption and money poorly allocated.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Regarding no ring/no bring ... It is a form of discrimination against singles.

Next thing you know, people will be inviting only one person out of a couple. If they aren't close friends with the spouse, they won't be invited. No know/no go.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

I saw an article today that said Pippa wants all the people at the wedding ceremony to change their clothes before the reception.   The article didn't mention if she was going to provide storage space and/or dressing rooms.   Have any of you ever heard of anything like this?  In my opinion she is going a bit overboard and she isn't even royalty.

@Lindsays Grandma

You didn't mention where you saw the article or provide a link, but this isn't what could be called unusual.    For instance ....  If a wedding ceremony is rather formal, and held at 11am at church, in all likelihood, the reception isn't going to start at lunchtime.   If a rousing celebration is planned, there could be several hours between ceremony and reception.   Personally, I've been to weddings like this and the between-time is a good time to take a nap or socialize with other guests.   I went shopping nearby and then took a short nap.  It was a very lovely day.

Since their family business is Event Planning, I'm pretty sure they are well aware of what the etiquette is .... and what is acceptable.  

Poor Pippa .... no matter what she does, people will find something to criticize.   It's her wedding .... give the girl a break.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

When there's a long time frame between ceremony and reception, that's the norm.  You wear something nice to Mass or service, go home (NAP lol) and then change into something glitzy for the reception.

@ missy1 wrote:

I have been to a lot of weddings over the years, and the time between the ceremony and reception was minimal. I think it is so rude to make your guests wait hours and hours. How if the guests are from out of town, but not far enough to stay in a hotel? I like a wedding where the ceremony and reception are in the same place, or close by each other.

@missy1

If guests are from out of town, it would make sense to get a room and not drive several miles to get home late at night after drinking all evening at the reception.    Who does that?    

I'm pretty sure anyone invited to Pippa's wedding can afford one night in a hotel.  

Valued Contributor

I tend not to believe the stuff reported by tabloids.  I had heard about the no ring, no bring policy- but it was attached to the groom's brother who is dating a British reality show star.  The thinking was Pippa didn't want this woman to "upstage" her.  The same was said for Meghan Markle.  Now it's being reported that Meghan is invited.

It's her day and her dime.  She can do as she likes.

Valued Contributor

@felixmom wrote:

I read that she's also putting a "no ring, no bring" policy in place meaning guests can't bring their significant other to the wedding unless they're married or engaged...do do do do.....

someone may have already said but....thats a Royal Family rule for family members....not the \public......not Pippas rule....and shes  not following it completely because Harrys gf is invited to the reception

Honored Contributor

@Yardlie wrote:

Regarding no ring/no bring ... It is a form of discrimination against singles.

Next thing you know, people will be inviting only one person out of a couple. If they aren't close friends with the spouse, they won't be invited. No know/no go.

RIght. Just like "no kids" discriminates against those of us with young children. But of course, DO send a gift.......

Honored Contributor

As one who loves to get caught up in royal or highfalutin' wedding stuff, and pretty or significant weddings in general, I would nevertheless have to say, I object.

It's not a mattier of etiquette, exactly, although it does seem poor form to me to be dictating wedding guests' clothes.  It's almost like specifying gifts!  It's inconsiderate-- I would hate to have to dither over two sets of wedding outfits, then drag them with me, then have to change, gack.

Just do as someone mentioned, you can say there will be a reception in a boggy meadow or a sandy beach or whatever, and let the guests decide what they will do.

If I were a guest at an outdoor affair in Britain, I might well bring a pair of Wellies for later...

I've never liked this whole "It's the bride's prerogative to rule with an iron fist" thing, (for myself or any other bride.)  

Can't wait to see all the clothes and people at this wedding!