Honored Contributor

Re: Pine Sol approved to kill covid

The scent of Pine Sol reminds me of my grandmother. Her house always reeked of that scent. It is a clean smell, but she overdid it. But you could eat off her floors....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cannot stand the smell of pine sol!    reminds of those old WICK  bathroom deodorizers they used to have in public bathrooms in the old days.  The smell almost nauseates me  funny how scents can conjur up  the past, or something  unpleasant......or pleasant.

Honored Contributor

COVID-19 is not a living thing. It cannot be killed.

Respected Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

You're right. COVID-19 is the name of the illness caused by SARS-CoV-2, which can't be killed.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you can find it---From the company website---

It’s no coincidence. The places that need the most cleaning are also the places your family lives. Which means getting rid of germs is just as important as leaving no harmful chemical residue behind. New Lysol Daily Cleanser is made with 3 simple ingredients, is free from harsh chemical residue, and kills 99.9% of germs. It’s safe to use in baby areas, on food contact surfaces, and in pet areas.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Pine Sol approved for disinfection for covid19

Previously, somewhere, I found and posted that Borax powder was on the list of natural disinfectants.

Why couldn't we (well, I ) dissolve Borax in water and use it to disinfect surfaces, floors, tubs, etc. (?)

It doesn't have an odor, and I use a tiny bit in my washer when washing towels.

Just thinking about 'this and that'..........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

You're right. COVID-19 is the name of the illness caused by SARS-CoV-2, which can't be killed.

@noodleann @willdob3 

FROM AARP---

The EPA-approved products proven to kill SARS-CoV-2:

1. Lysol Disinfectant Spray

• Active ingredients: Quaternary ammonium, ethanol (ethyl alcohol)
  • EPA registration number: 777-99

2. Lysol Disinfectant Max Cover Mist

• Active ingredients: Quaternary ammonium, ethanol (ethyl alcohol)
  • EPA registration number: 777-127

3. Lysol Disinfecting Wipes (all scents)

• Active ingredients: Quaternary ammonium
  • EPA registration number: 777-114

4. Lysol Laundry Sanitizer

• EPA registration number: 777-128

5. Lonza Formulation R-82

• EPA registration number: 6836-78

6. Lonza Formulation S-21

• EPA registration number: 6836-75

7. Lonzagard RCS-256 Plus

• EPA registration number: 6836-349

8. Lonzagard RCS-128 PLUS

• EPA registration number: 6836-348

9. Lonzagard RCS-128

• EPA registration number: 6836-347

10. Lonzagard RCS-256

• EPA registration number: 6836-346

11. Lonza Formulation R-82F

• EPA registration number: 6836-139

12. Lonzagard R-82G

• EPA registration number: 6836-381

13. Lonza Formulation S-18

• EPA registration number: 6836-77

14. Lonza Formulation DC-103

• EPA registration number: 6836-152

15. Lonza Formulation S-21F

• EPA registration number: 6836-140

16. Lonza Formulation S-18F

• EPA registration number: 6836-136

17. Lonza Disinfectant Wipes

• EPA registration number: 6836-313

18. Lonza Nugen Low Streak Disinfectant Wipes

• EPA registration number: 6836-382

19. Lonza Disinfectant Wipes Plus

• EPA registration number: 6836-336

20. Lonza Disinfectant Wipes Plus 2

• EPA registration number: 6836-340

21. Clorox Commercial Solutions Clorox Disinfecting Wipes

• EPA registration number: 67619-31

22. Clorox Disinfecting Wipes

• EPA registration number: 5813-79

23. CDW (from The Clorox Company)

• EPA registration number: 5813-113

Editor's Note: This article, originally published on Aug. 4, has been updated to reflect new information.

April 30, 2020

From Hartford Healthcare---

Any household cleaner containing bleach or at least 70 percent alcohol should kill SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

If you’re unsure your surface disinfectant is effective against the virus, check the newly updated Environmental Protection Agency database known as “List N.” (Click here.)

Date:July 7, 2020Source:University of HoustonSummary:Researchers have designed a 'catch and kill' air filter that can trap the virus responsible for COVID-19, killing it instantly.  

Zhifeng Ren, director of the Texas Center for Superconductivity at UH, collaborated with Monzer Hourani, CEO of Medistar, a Houston-based medical real estate development firm, and other researchers to design the filter, which is described in a paper published in Materials Today Physics.

The researchers reported that virus tests at the Galveston National Laboratory found 99.8% of the novel SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, was killed in a single pass through a filter made from commercially available nickel foam heated to 200 degrees Centigrade, or about 392 degrees Fahrenheit. It also killed 99.9% of the anthrax spores in testing at the national lab, which is run by the University of Texas Medical Branch.

"This filter could be useful in airports and in airplanes, in office buildings, schools and cruise ships to stop the spread of COVID-19," said Ren, MD Anderson Chair Professor of Physics at UH and co-corresponding author for the paper. "Its ability to help control the spread of the virus could be very useful for society." Medistar executives are is also proposing a desk-top model, capable of purifying the air in an office worker's immediate surroundings, he said.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yes, thank you for pointing out that many organizations also incorrectly state that the virus can be killed.

It is not alive; it cannot be killed. It can be destroyed but it is not a living thing to begin with.

Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Spurt 

Yes, thank you for pointing out that many organizations also incorrectly state that the virus can be killed.

It is not alive; it cannot be killed. It can be destroyed but it is not a living thing to begin with.

Whether we refer to it as "killing" or "deactivating" or another term, doesn't change the list of items that can be used for that purpose. That's what we're discussing here.  I've heard doctors and other medical people on TV refer to killing" the virus. Not technically correct, but still gets the message across - what we can/should use to make our surfaces safer.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@maximillian wrote:

Precautiions: Most of all, don't drink it.

I refuse to buy into all this fearmongering from those who are panicked about drinking household cleaner. How many people each year die from drinking Pine Sol? No one I know ever did. Therefore my risk is very low. How many 'scientists' and 'doctors' have even tried drinking Pine Sol? None. So who are they, really, to tell me not to? I refuse to live in fear. Going to get my snifter now. [This is sarcasm. Don't drink anything from your cleaning cabinet, people.]

I do love the scent of Pine Sol. It smells extra clean.

@Porcelain   Interesting that you like the smell....I find it a very toxic smell and it makes me very nauseous. I cannot use it because of this....but would not even if it did not make me sick due to the possibility of poisoning my pets.