Trusted Contributor

Pine Sol approved for disinfection for covid19

[ Edited ]

Sorry if this has already been posted. I see so many posts where people are looking for Clorox or Lysol approved products for cleaning/disinfecting due to covid. Pine Sol has now been approved.

Here is some information:

“Pine-Sol Original Multi-Surface Cleaner now offers the clean families have trusted through generations with the protection they need right now against the spread of SARS-Cov-2, the virus that causes COVID-19,” Chris Hyder, vice president and general manager of the cleaning division at Clorox, said in a statement. “We hope this new Pine-Sol kill claim will increase access to disinfectants that can help prevent the spread of COVID-19.”

The company recommends using Pine-Sol Original Multi-Surface Cleaner at full strength with a clean sponge or cloth on hard, nonporous surfaces. For wet surfaces, let stand 10 minutes, and then rinse

Super Contributor

Re: Pine Sol approved to kill covid

Thanks for  posting. I do use Pine Sol but letting it stand for 10 minutes & then rinse off is a big NO for me. Who has this kind of time? Clorox is more user friendly. No waiting around. 

Honored Contributor

Pinesol is on the list for toxic to dogs and other pets....so just beware

Some Cleaning Products That Are Not Safe for Dogs

There are many, many cleaning products that are not safe for dogs on the market.

1. Floor Cleaners – These include Pine Sol and Mr. Clean. Even if you manage to get all of the residue off the floor, the vapors linger and are dangerous to your pet. Try a non-toxic, pet safe cleaner instead.
  2. Bathroom Cleaners – These include Clorox Bathroom Cleaner and Scrubbing Bubbles. Try a product such as Ecover Bathroom Cleaner instead. Never use a continuous toilet bowl cleaner such as Clorox Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner. It is very dangerous and the temptation to drink out of the toilet is a quirk in many of 
  3. All Purpose Cleaners – For use in the kitchen and around the house, the most common toxic all-purpose cleaners that scream “Danger!” are Mr. Clean Multi-Purpose Spray and Formula 409.
  4. Drain Openers – You may think that since this product is poured down the drain, it can’t be harmful to your pet. But the toxic drain openers give off dangerous fumes long after you’ve emptied them. For a non-toxic, pet safe option, try a product such as Earth Friendly Enzymes Drain Opener.
  5. Glass Cleaner – It may seem that toxic glass cleaners are simpler products and are, therefore, safe but they are not. Instead of something like Windex, try a product such as Nature Clean Window and Glass Cleaner.
  6. Laundry Detergent – It’s easy to assume that choosing a laundry detergent isn’t that important because the rinse cycle rinses it away. But there is residue left behind on clothes and pet blankets that can be harmful to your pet, especially those that chew on their bedding. Avoid detergents with toxic ingredients such as Tide and Cheer and try something like Down East’s Liquid
Super Contributor

@roster wrote:

Thanks for  posting. I do use Pine Sol but letting it stand for 10 minutes & then rinse off is a big NO for me. Who has this kind of time? Clorox is more user friendly. No waiting around. 

I just checked the Clorox Bleach label and it says for disinfecting nonpourous surfaces to prewash the surface.   Then wipe with bleach and let it make contact with the surface for AT LEAST 5 MINUTES.  Rinse well and air dry.   It's a little quicker than Pine Sol, but still needs to sit on the surface for disinfection. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Pinesol is on the list for toxic to dogs and other pets....so just beware

ALSO CATS.

Please don't use this nasty stuff if you have ANY animals.

Honored Contributor

Very strong odor, if I correctly recall.

Hexol, too. 

Be careful around toddlers/babies/pets/birds.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

@FlyersGirl 

Thanks for this info-- certain cleaning products in my area are still not stocked. 

⚓️
Respected Contributor

Precautiions: Most of all, don't drink it.

Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

Precautiions: Most of all, don't drink it.

I refuse to buy into all this fearmongering from those who are panicked about drinking household cleaner. How many people each year die from drinking Pine Sol? No one I know ever did. Therefore my risk is very low. How many 'scientists' and 'doctors' have even tried drinking Pine Sol? None. So who are they, really, to tell me not to? I refuse to live in fear. Going to get my snifter now. [This is sarcasm. Don't drink anything from your cleaning cabinet, people.]

I do love the scent of Pine Sol. It smells extra clean.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain 

I'll join you if your snifter has a good brandy in it!