Honored Contributor

Re: Pine Sol approved to kill covid

Just try to pry my Tide Free and Gentle from my clenched hands.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Spurt 

Yes, thank you for pointing out that many organizations also incorrectly state that the virus can be killed.

It is not alive; it cannot be killed. It can be destroyed but it is not a living thing to begin with.

@willdob3   You are correct.  It is a protein surrounded by a fatty layer.

It is the fatty layer that needs to be broken in order ot break down the protein layer.

That is why it is recommended to wash hands, preferably with foaming soap, for the 20 seconds and vigorously.  Same with wiping down surfaces-you are attempting to destroy the fatty outer layer.

Once the particles are inhaled, or enter the body through the eyes, etc., the molecule mutates, attaches, and that is where the virus starts.

You are not killing the virus with wipes, etc.  You are killing the potential for that molecule to enter your body and mutate into the virus.

There is a difference.

Most people just swipe and think everything is cool.  It isn't.

Also if continued hand washing is causing too much dryness/opening in your skin, use plenty of thick hand lotion to combat the molecule from entering any skin openings on your hands.

I posted this several months ago and was called a science denier.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Wiping surfaces with soap and water is just as effective.

It is the pressure applied that breaks down that fatty layer; that is why it is recommended that you apply heavy pressure when wiping.

If you just swipe then you haven't technically done anything.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@maximillian wrote:

Precautiions: Most of all, don't drink it.

I refuse to buy into all this fearmongering from those who are panicked about drinking household cleaner. How many people each year die from drinking Pine Sol? No one I know ever did. Therefore my risk is very low. How many 'scientists' and 'doctors' have even tried drinking Pine Sol? None. So who are they, really, to tell me not to? I refuse to live in fear. Going to get my snifter now. [This is sarcasm. Don't drink anything from your cleaning cabinet, people.]

I do love the scent of Pine Sol. It smells extra clean.

@Porcelain   Interesting that you like the smell....I find it a very toxic smell and it makes me very nauseous. I cannot use it because of this....but would not even if it did not make me sick due to the possibility of poisoning my pets. 

Well I wouldn't dab it behind my ears. I just associate that scent with certain places from my childhood. I agree it is very strong.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Pine Sol smell is good for the bathroom. Not my laundrySmiley Sad((((((

Honored Contributor

Re: Pine Sol approved for disinfection for covid19

Are viruses alive? Short answer? Who cares? They kill alive people. So you have to fight against them. We know how. We should listen to genuine reliable public health experts on what to do.

Long answer: They're a creepy inbetween, according to the New Scientist magazine. And they're definitely parasites.

"Viruses are microscopic parasites responsible for a host of familiar – and often fatal – diseases, including the [eta Covid!] flu, Ebola, measles and HIV. They are made up of DNA or RNA encapsulated in a protein shell and can only survive and replicate inside a living host, which could be any organism on earth. This means no life form is safe from infection by a virus.

So are viruses ‘alive’? The answer is not as straightforward as you may think.

Since viruses were first discovered in 1892 by Dmitri Ivanovsky, our ideas of what they are have shifted from poisons to biological chemicals. Some years after their discovery, scientists first raised the idea that viruses were living – albeit simple – organisms because they caused diseases like bacteria, which we know to be alive.

However, viruses lack the hallmarks of other living things. They don’t carry out metabolic processes, such as making the energy molecule of life, ATP, and they don’t have cells and therefore the cellular machinery needed to make proteins by themselves. The only life process a virus undergoes independently is reproduction to make copies of itself, which can only happen after they have invaded the cells of another organism. Outside of their host some viruses can still survive, depending on environmental conditions, but their life span is considerably shorter. This complete reliability on a host for all their vital processes has led some scientists to deem viruses as non-living.

However there is also a case to be made for viruses being alive.

For example, the discovery of giant viruses possessing hundreds of genes (the Ebola virus only has seven) suggests viruses are more than just simple, inert bundles of genetic material. Some of these giant so-called mimiviruses contain genes involved in metabolism and making proteins, and their genomes are even bigger than those of some bacteria – so does this indicate that viruses are living after all?

A key to determining viruses’ elusive nature lies in how they came to exist. Shedding light on viruses’ history is tricky since they don’t leave behind fossils to study like other organisms. Viruses are also hugely diverse, constantly evolve and probably swap genes with all types of life (they might even be the source of life’s complexity), all of which make it harder to study their genetic basis.

But this has also helped scientists to draw parallels between viruses and other forms of life. One theory on their origin is that viruses evolved from cells then branched out and evolved separately, backing the notion that they are indeed alive. Studying the shapes of their proteins, for example, has shown that viruses share certain protein structures – and therefore properties – with organisms from all branches of the tree of life.

There are variations to this theory, such as the idea that viruses might have come from circular pieces of DNA called plasmids in archaeans, and that giant viruses might be the remnants of extinct domains of life.

Ultimately, science may never agree on whether viruses are alive or not. E. Rybicki described them as being “at the edge of life” – for now, this may be the closest we will get to an answer."

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Re: Pine Sol approved for disinfection for covid19

@FlyersGirl   Good to know.  I use it or the store brand for floors occasionally and like the smell of original Pine Sol.

@Porcelain  Thank you for providing this article.  Fascinating.  The mysteries of the universe are simply astounding.  The more that is learned the more we discover we need to keep learning.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Wiping surfaces with soap and water is just as effective.

It is the pressure applied that breaks down that fatty layer; that is why it is recommended that you apply heavy pressure when wiping.

If you just swipe then you haven't technically done anything.

Lysol or Clorox sprays need to remain on a surface for at least 5 minutes before removing it to be most effective.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼