Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pilot Locked out of Cockpit on Fatal Flight....

Here is an excerpt from the article so indeed that information is sensitive.

As with many things in commercial aviation, the technology is not the biggest hurdle. What data to stream, when to stream it, and how to stream it would be debated among the many constituents involved—airlines, pilots, governmental regulators and the like. Everyone from pilots unions, the International Civil Aviation Organization, national regulatory agencies like the FAA as well as carriers would all need to sign off, and we’d need spectrum dedicated to the communication system. There was years of debate over the privacy implications of cockpit voice recorders before they were adopted, and any discussion of real-time data monitoring would undoubtedly fuel similar debate and discussion.

“There’s a lot of sensitivity around information like that,” McMillan says. “I wouldn’t pretend that it’s easy to mandate black box in the cloud.”

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Maybe the pounding on the door was a flight attendant? Maybe something happened re: low/no oxygen in the cockpit. It is a possibility.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Well, if they won't change/substitute the present black boxes, then at least a longer battery life. Still, I'm thinking duplicate boxes on each plane, placed in different areas. I'm sure passengers won't mind the extra cost, if it relates to safety. Passengers usually spend extra money on other things anyway, while traveling, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Or, maybe electrical/smoke in the passenger cabin, and the pilots were busy trying to keep the plane stable? They kept the door locked in order to keep the smoke out of the cockpit. Could be........

Honored Contributor

I heard that the memory card was/is missing in the second box. A PBS world news report that I ran across. Don't know how true it is, though. So, don't quote me.

Respected Contributor

I read the article, the headline was that the other pilot was banging down the door trying to get. In the article itself it said nothing like that. Did anyone read anything that actually made that statement?

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

I heard that the memory card was/is missing in the second box. A PBS world news report that I ran across. Don't know how true it is, though. So, don't quote me.

At the crash site, a senior official working on the investigation said, workers found the casing of the plane’s other black box, the flight data recorder, but the memory card containing data on the plane’s altitude, speed, location and condition was not inside, apparently having been thrown loose or destroyed by the impact.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/world/europe/germanwings-airbus-crash.html?_r=0

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Instead of waiting for the appropriate news, it is amazing how many of you are airplane accident experts with such opinions. Why does everyone post with their own speculations, concepts, and misguided ideas on every subject, which ends up being incorrect gossip usually. Why not just wait for news to be corrected and then discuss a subject accordingly and these threads would be much better. Of course, this is just my opinion on how to cut down on all of the ancillary conversations that often lead to discourse.

Honored Contributor

On 3/25/2015 Yammy25 said:

Instead of waiting for the appropriate news, it is amazing how many of you are airplane accident experts with such opinions. Why does everyone post with their own speculations, concepts, and misguided ideas on every subject, which ends up being incorrect gossip usually. Why not just wait for news to be corrected and then discuss a subject accordingly and these threads would be much better. Of course, this is just my opinion on how to cut down on all of the ancillary conversations that often lead to discourse.

Because we can? Nobody is forcing anyone to comment or read, lol.

Honored Contributor

Lots of regular folks over here (at home) are speculating about 'this and that'. It's almost human nature to speculate, wonder, etc., etc. when something like this happens.