Esteemed Contributor

I haven't used these before, but I have a ?.  I plan to make pies and pecan tarts.  That means I will have to cut rounds out of the dough to make the tart crusts.

Can I use the odd dough left, shape it and use it again like you would with other dough that you make yourself?

Thanks for your answers!! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: Pillsbury pie dough

[ Edited ]

If you cut your tart rounds close together I doubt that there would be much dough left to reuse.  The crusts are the perfect size for a 9-inch pie pan with no trimming or excess at all. 

Respected Contributor

To answer your question - yes you can.

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3   You can roll out the leftover pieces and freeze them.  Let thaw at room temperature and you'll have another crust for a future pie.

Keep in mind you do not want to keep rehandling the pieces.

You can also use them to make something like rugulach.

Rugelach 1 Lb – Rockland Bakery NY

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Patriot3   I meant to post if you keep rehandling the dough it will lose flakiness when baked.  It will become tough.

Signed, Cakers aka Martha Stewart wannabe.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 Put sugar and cinnamon on it and bake it and have a treat or pitch it out.  It won't be up to your standards after being frozen and squished. 

Honored Contributor

I make little turnovers once in a blue moon.  I leave the dough out about 30 mins, then roll the 2 sheets together to make one large circle.  I score one of the sheets on top with a fork and dampen it slightly. Then place second sheet on top an roll out. Works beautifully. Pillsbury crust is very good. And they make excellent tart crusts!!  I cut the circles very close together.  I just pat light and roll out the scraps to make more circles

Trusted Contributor

I'm a semi- homemade kind of gail and I  don't care for the taste of Pillsbury.  It has a vinegar taste.  I have use Mrs. Cavanaugh pie crust for over 20 years for  Thanksgiving pies and Christmas Quiche.  No one has never question whether they are homemade  or out of the freezer section. 

Respected Contributor

Yes you can and I usually just buy an extra package for making the top designs on pies. Just roll it out over a little bit of flour after it thaws.

Esteemed Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

I'm a semi- homemade kind of gail and I  don't care for the taste of Pillsbury.  It has a vinegar taste.  I have use Mrs. Cavanaugh pie crust for over 20 years for  Thanksgiving pies and Christmas Quiche.  No one has never question whether they are homemade  or out of the freezer section. 

@sweetee2 

I agree; I don't care for the Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust either.  If I am going to "cheat" I prefer their frozen version.  Otherwise I make my pie crust from scratch.  In the very distant past, I have also used the boxed Betty Crocker pie crust with success and prefer it to the refrigerated brands also.