Honored Contributor

Re: Pillsbury Bread Flour Recall

@SharkE wrote:

Must be some kind of infestation in the fields where the grains are grown.

Or then storage in a warehouse ?

Our local walmart didn't have Gold medal for almost a whole yr.1 yr.

I spend extra on King Arthur and always thought they were above the average anyway and now they're compromised.

PIllsbury, I've never used.   Bad thing is people aren't willing to pay an extra nickel for nothing, so, they take the better quality goods away like White Lilly

flour and then all you can find is the ol' cheap house brand.

Wish they would let the better quality goods remain for folks who are able and don't mind paying more for quality.

@SharkE  AMEN to that!  I do agree about quality.  It's all about cheap with groceries now and that's what we get.  KAF is using ADM mills, so what we're paying for from that is basically "run of the mill" (pun intended) flour and not anything better than a store brand.  

Makes me angry! KAF DID used to be above the average flour, and cooked like a higher protein flour.  Now you can't tell so much difference in your bread when you use the AP.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

They say that grain can be contaminated in the fields from feces.....why do farmers use cow poop to fertilize?

@dex Because it is ORGANIC!  Yes, I am shouting and people were terrified of chemical fertilizers along with pesticides and herbicides that are chemical.  Not sure if they are really dangerous--the fertilizers. 

Honored Contributor

All the flours were milled by ADM Milling a subsidiary of food processing giant, Archer Daniels Midland. Processing took occurred at the same facility. There are currently three flours being recalled. There’s ALDIS, King Arthur and Pillsbury. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE   Here in DC I couldn't get White Lily in the grocery stores I can walk to but last fall I was able to order online a 3 pack of 5 lb. bags of  their all-purpose flour for around $8.00 total from Walmart.

Just checked the website and they don't have the WL all purpose right now but they do have the self-rising and bread flour 5 lb. 3 packs in that brand for  around that price--bread flour was a little higher.

I had other heavy things for that order like a 22 lbs. bag of dry cat food to get for my outdoor strays that the neighborhood cares for so it didn't take long to reach the $35.00 minimum to get free shipping and I had my order via UPS at my door in two days.

Hope this info is useful for you since I know you are quite the baker.

Honored Contributor

Walmart seems to be moving away from carrying name brands and eventually will be only carrying their Great Value brand, according to several articles I have seen. I think the change will be over the course of a few years. Sounds like a bad idea to take away choices for their customers.
Honored Contributor

If you look at how flour is packaged, there is no inner packaging; it’s just a paper wrapper that is easily opened...would be easy for anything to work its way into a package and contaminate it even after being processed.