Contributor

Pilates Users - Can I get your opinion?

[ Edited ]

I have been through 18 sessions of Pilates physical therapy for spinal stenosis and other age related maladies. I found the therapy quite beneficial and have been taking classes but it is pricey.

I have been considering the 5 corded machine that has been on air in the past few days and am looking for input from more informed consumers. I see that this configuration doesn't include the stand or neck pillow, do you think that these are necessities or just nice to haves?

TIA

Valued Contributor

Re: Pilates Users - Can I get your opinion?

I took Pilate lessons on the reformer for 3 years before investing in a Power Pilates Machine- which is the pilates machine version on HSN. I dont think the stand or neck pillow is nessesary. The most important thing in my opinion, is correct form. And with the lessons you have, you should have a good foundation on correct posture and form. 

Contributor

Thanks Ruby Woo.

Valued Contributor

I have a Pilates machine (about 10 years old) and I don't have the stand or neck pillow. I haven't missed either one. The important thing is being consistent with the exercises. If I could have any additional item for the machine, it would be the pull up bar so I could work my arms more. My machine doesn't have the risers, so a pull up bar wouldn't work 

Esteemed Contributor

I have been doing Pilates, both mat and machine, for thirty years. I am 60. I wouldn't buy the machine without the stand. I have the pillow also.  Sometimes I use it and sometimes not.  LM

Respected Contributor

Really no one here can advise you, particularly since you have specific conditions that require specific therapeutic movements.  You would need to determine whether not having the extra height from the floor would prohibit you from doing the specific exercises you have already been doing, and you would need to evaluate whether the pillow is important for you to use, given your spinal issues.  Perhaps you could ask the Pilates instructor, who I assume is conducting your sessions based on your doctor's prescription.

Personally, I have no problem getting on the floor (without the stand) and I have no need for a neck pillow.

Honored Contributor

I don't have any medical issues and I had no problem getting up and down off the machine on the floor. I did end up buying the stand and the pillow and enjoy both. The stand does give more range of motion for certain movements. I have the 5 cord machine they were selling before that came with the pull up bar. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

Contributor
MamboMom

Pilates Users - Can I get your opinion?[ Edited ]

I have been through 18 sessions of Pilates physical therapy for spinal stenosis and other age related maladies. I found the therapy quite beneficial and have been taking classes but it is pricey.

I have been considering the 5 corded machine that has been on air in the past few days and am looking for input from more informed consumers. I see that this configuration doesn't include the stand or neck pillow, do you think that these are necessities or just nice to haves?

TIA

Personal trainers are expensive. My neighbor used to be a pilates intructor. She now has someone else show her how to stretch.

I THINK its more of a 30 year old MALE giving her attention :-(

She also has this huge monstor machine that takes up half a room, SHE never uses it

I am getting older, any exercise helps me. I can tell when my couch potato disease takes over !   LOL

Consider the price of supervision, your safety

I took one pilates class at the Y, I left halfway though it. TOO much pressure on one elbow.

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Respected Contributor

@MamboMom  I bought the 4-cord with the stand and the rebounder from QVC many years ago before the prices went up.  I got the whole thing in one package deal for around $350, as I recall.  I've since added the pull-up bar to it.

Personally, I can't imagine using this machine without the stand.  Some of the exercises I do on it require having one foot on the floor, for instance.  I honestly wouldn't want to have to get down to the floor to use it at all anyway.

Here's another side thought........I have it in my basement rec room.  When our area had an unfortunate 10-inch rainfall causing a 6" sewer backup in my basement back in 2006 (ugh)........my pilates stayed safe and dry off the floor!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I've had my Pilates for about 8 years and have neither a neck pillow or the stand, and feel no need to purchase them.  They are "enhancements" but not really necessary.   You could always buy them later if you want.

I have problems with my neck joints, and a pillow would be uncomfortable, IMO .....  allowing it to be flat and aligned with my spine is much better for me.

Having said that, will you leave the machine on the floor somewhere, or will you be folding it up after use?    If you will be folding it up, that stand is going to be a real nuisance!