Honored Contributor

Re: Pier 1 wants to close their remaining stores

I've decorated entire houses (rentals) with Pier 1 furnishings.  Figured it wasn't too expensive and if it lasted a few seasons, I'd be happy.  But it lasted almost 10 years and a few homes were sold with the furniture and other decor.

Slightly O/T, but I'm wondering now what happens when you hold a credit card with these stores.

I happen to have a Pier 1 card and a few to other stores that are also closing.  I have no balances on them.  But I've heard it's bad to close credit cards.  Not sure about that, but have read it (here possibly?).

Trusted Contributor

Sad. My local store survived the previous closures, and the manager was so excited. They had so many neat events set up ( demonstrations and mini-workshops) to attract new customers.  I am worried that no business around me is going to survive except Dominoes.

Frequent Contributor

In Hawaii they are all closed already. No more Pier1 .

Frequent Contributor

This makes me sad.  They have great buyers and their merchandise is unique.  I knew I could always find a very unique piece especially for holiday decor.  The staff at the stores by me were great and very helpful.

Honored Contributor

It is a shame, but I think most of us saw this coming. I loved to shop at their stores.

Respected Contributor

Sorry to read about Pier 1. My husband and I enjoyed their goods and purchased from them frequently in the past.  It seems some years ago they changed their stock. It wasn't the same Pier 1. They use to carry beautiful wicker and bamboo seating sets for the patio and deck.  Durable and long lasting. Eclectic goods from all over the globe. You wouldn't find the same boring Items you would see in every department store. They changed what made them good.  So I guess it was inevitable. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I really liked their dishes. 

Me too @GenXmuse . Last Christmas I saw some dinnerware with spruce trees on it. I would have been able to use them for the entire winter which last until April here.

Esteemed Contributor

Just like J. Crew and JC Penney's - now Pier 1 will be going bankrupt. The lock down has caused so many stores and restaurants to shut their doors forever. That's a shame. I liked Pier 1. 

Respected Contributor

Very sad for me.... I love this store... I just recently bought some nice furniture pieces( on good sale) , very beautiful duvet set for my new house. They cancelled one piece of furniture on me probably due to the perspective closure. Sad....

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

Just like J. Crew and JC Penney's - now Pier 1 will be going bankrupt. The lock down has caused so many stores and restaurants to shut their doors forever. That's a shame. I liked Pier 1. 

@Effie54 The Pier One stores in my area closed way before all this happened. Same with Macy's. In fact the whole mall with Macy's closed years ago.