Respected Contributor

Pier 1 wants to close their remaining stores

[ Edited ]

According to CNN Business Pier 1 is asking bankruptcy court to close all their remaining stores. Home decor/furnishing market is really soft currently.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/19/business/pier-1-shutting-down/index.html. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Pier 1 wants to close their remaining stores

Bummer!

Honored Contributor

Sad news.

Valued Contributor

I think that stores like pier 1 have run their course. I call them Knick knack stores and I honestly don't ever go in there because I just don't care for those type items. Most things they sell, you can find at other stores, a lot of times, at much better prices.  Nevertheless, I hate to see any store close because it means that someone has lost a job. Our economy is down the drain right now, hopefully sooner than later, we can get people back to work at full time.

Honored Contributor

It had a good run.

There's going to be a glut of available retail space by the time this is done.  It makes me wonder what they're thinking in the offices of developers that are currently in the midst of projects to build even more space.  One such project is down the road from me.

Honored Contributor

They have a warehouse here in MD, just read today that they are closing it. 

Trusted Contributor

I am sorry for PIER 1 to see the stores and its emplyees fade way.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Respected Contributor

IMO, Pier 1 is the type of store I shop at when I move into a new home or redecorate my current home. 
But in recent years, I could find the same decor at Homegoods or Target alot cheaper. 

Honored Contributor

Even though the governor calls the 3 southern counties of Florida the engines for the state's economy, we had lots of empty retail space along the 2 main shopping boulevards even before the current crisis.

I can't begin to imagine what we're going to look like for the next 10 years. I rarely shopped the Pier 1 store near me, but I bought a neat chair there last fall -  nothing else close in the area.  

So sad - although I will end up spending far less money as local retail downsizes once again.  I don't do  "see it - want it" on the Internet the same way I do when things are right in front of me.

Honored Contributor

So sad. My husband and I loved Pier One, and went to the one near us often, however it is not surprising to me at all as our store was never crowded or busy except for Christmas time......Their 3 wick candles are really nice and they were usually 2 for 20 in their stores.....