Honored Contributor

Re: Pier 1 closing stores

[ Edited ]

I suppose they had criteria for what stores to close, but on the surface of it, in my area, anyway, it makes no sense. They're closing both of my local stores and the closest stores are now hardly a convenient drive, so i most likely won't bother. It seems it might have made more sense to leave one or the other of these stores open, perhaps drawing customers from the one they closed. If it didn't work out, they could always close the second store later. As it is now, this pretty significanst suburban area has no option but to shop for home decor items elsewhere. The store closest to me was located in the same strip mall as a BBB store, which is also closing. It's really a shame because now, as far as convenient shopping goes, we're left with the ever-present Walmart, along, thankfully, with Target and the full array of TJX stores...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

i love their knick knacks and glassware. they are so reasonably priced and the quality is good. purchased a lot of items there when my daughter was headed to grad school and into her own apartment.

very glad at this point that the two tat i shop at are staying open. ours are huge, quite neat, and clean, and organized.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I just got an email telling me that the CA store, where I used to shop, will be closing.  Sad to hear about that.

I've relocated, and gone into a very busy local store a few times.  Hope they're not going to close 

Honored Contributor

Why are they still getting new product in?  The stores are now 60-70% off but online it's still 25%

So odd.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

We have 4, in our greater metro area. Looks like all four, will remain open.

I don't shop there often but I have found some really nice things there and some interesting design ideas.

Honored Contributor
I just read a list of stores that will be closing and it makes me sad. Some surprised me, like Kohl’s. The one closest to where I live always has a full parking lot. Also, Steinmart which is almost within walking distance from me....the parking lot is always full and you have to hunt for a place to park. Kirklands and Sears Outlets were also on the list of 50 stores. I think many are just consolidating and not closing their businesses completely, but it still seems sad that so many big companies have fallen on such hard times....and not all the fault of online shopping. Some is due to very poor management.
Honored Contributor

I remember going in a pier 1 store maybe twice.    All I remember is a lot of made in China  and imported goods at high prices. Never went back. For those who shopped there often, what did you buy where you would go there often? The stuff I remember was not something you would buy over and over again. 

Honored Contributor
I have a friend who stages homes and she uses Pier1and Kirklands a lot...she is already looking for other sources..,the idea is low overhead as you know!
Frequent Contributor

No wonder they are closing!  I have been watching an item to go on clearance for over a month now.  I could have taken advantage of some of their percent off sales but thought I'd wait awhile hoping to see it at 50% off.  Well, today to my surprise the item went from $69.00 tio $89.00!!!!!  Would like to know how they justify doing that!?  I'm guess they will be putting it at 50% off next week with the higher price!!!  Games these stores like to play and they wonder why they are losing customers!!!  Has anyone had this experience before?

Respected Contributor

They closing non profitable stores, but the others stay in business. In my area we have 2, one is closing. 

I love this store! They recently had an incredible sale and I picked some nice pieces of furniture ( cocktail table, console table, velvet chair, gorgeous duvet set with blush magnolias) .In the past I bought very nice, high quality pieces too. 

Hope they will survive tough times!