Esteemed Contributor

Re: Phrases that are finger nails on chalkboard to you

Buy one get one for me.
Esteemed Contributor

‘You guys’ when addressing two or more people of different sexes in a group or, even worse, when addressing a group of females.

Chip Gaines is the absolute king of the overuse of this phrase.  Count how many times he says it during a show.  you will be surprised.  I often want to reach into the TV and slap him silly.

Honored Contributor

"...and the rest is history".  At the end of telling the story of how two people met.

"Fake news"

"My bad"

"I seen"

"He/she is in a better place".  Not only do I find this one annoying but it could be offensive to those who think differently and make them feel worse rather better while grieving.

Respected Contributor

Past History.  History is the past!

Trusted Contributor

Using the phrase ...neck of the woods.  Don't know why that drives me nuts.  Just say a general area where you live.  

Valued Contributor

I'm trying not to use the word "but".   The theory is it negates everything said in front of it.

As I become more conscious of my use of the word, I am sensitive when others use it.  

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Esteemed Contributor

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

This may be a regional thing and not really an overused phrase, but I have a friend who says, she is going to carry her sister to the store or she's going to carry him to work.  Everytime she says it, I get a mental picture of her hoisting someone onto her back and physically walking the person to their destination.

@IlliniGirl88  The next time she says that, tell her that she must be strong...and then ask her if her back ever hurts. 

Trusted Contributor

"I could care less."     Argh.  

Yes, you probably could.   But that's not what you mean.  

Respected Contributor

High five, high five, high five.  Hate to hear it and won't do it.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a friend who always says, "No problem" whenever someone says thank you to him, drives me crazy.  Irregardless is considered a non word or incorrect word, another source of irritation.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam