Esteemed Contributor

Re: Phrases that are finger nails on chalkboard to you

@mibo wrote:

Irregardless and orientated drive me insane. I’m not sure why it irks me, but I don’t like when someone says, “No problem,” in response to, “Thank you.”  

I have a friend who says, "no problem" whenever someone says thank you to him, drives me crazy.  Irregardless is considered a non-word and/or it is not a word.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

"Where you at?"   

Why are so many people saying this?? ... I've heard it a lot on TV, too. Why has this become the new thing to say? I just don't get it!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@mibo wrote:

Irregardless and orientated drive me insane. I’m not sure why it irks me, but I don’t like when someone says, “No problem,” in response to, “Thank you.”  

I have a friend who says, "no problem" whenever someone says thank you to him, drives me crazy.  Irregardless is considered a non-word and/or it is not a word.

Sorry about the triple post, happened accidently. That's what I get for typing at four in the morning, couldn't sleep.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I am an English teacher by chosen career, so any kind of blatant misuse of the English language grates on me. Things like "should have went" or worse, "should of went:" "he don't, she don't, it don't," "me and him went to a party,"  etc., etc. just drive me crazy. 

I have a niece that will post something like that all the time on Facebook.  I have to sit on my hands.

Respected Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

@IlliniGirl88 wrote:

This may be a regional thing and not really an overused phrase, but I have a friend who says, she is going to carry her sister to the store or she's going to carry him to work.  Everytime she says it, I get a mental picture of her hoisting someone onto her back and physically walking the person to their destination.

@IlliniGirl88  The next time she says that, tell her that she must be strong...and then ask her if her back ever hurts. 

@Daisy Sunflower  -  Woman LOL She never says she'll take anyone or anything someplace, it's always that she "carries" it.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

'Can I AXE you a question?'

No you can't, but you can ASK me a question..........GRRRR

Super Contributor

These are all so great, I'm thinking of people who say each of the statements you have mentioned! I also don't like p*e when someone needs to go. Just go. I'm from the south, and we do say  y'all, like the northeners say' you guys'. So many reporters say 'so' when they start a sentence, chalkboard moment.  One I didn't see on here drives my daughter and me crazy; let's make sure we're 'on the same page'.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know someone who emails me often to say, "I just walked in the door" or "I just walked in the door and now I'm back out the door".

Whenever she says that, I chuckle.

She wants to give the impression that she leads a busy life.

Respected Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@mibo wrote:

This phrase makes me laugh....I hear it constantly.

Esteemed Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I worked with a guy like this.  Always running around in a huff with a clipboard.

I call it, "busy being busy." Cat LOL

Doing nothing is more like it.