Trusted Contributor

Re: Phrases that are finger nails on chalkboard to you

@Maudlynn wrote:

Thoughts and prayers

It's said so often it's now completely meaningless to me

Less thoughts and prayers and mpre ACTION, please.

@Maudlynn ... What do you mean by " more ACTION, please." ???

Honored Contributor

First and at the top of the list is the word "ain't"....ugh...

"I was wanting to go"....

I had some amazing English teachers in high school.  This is such a petty thing but to this day whenever someone ends a sentence with the word "AT", I can hear my English teacher saying, "Between the A and the T.  You never end a sentence with the word "at"....

Super Contributor

I have so many, but for now:

Baby Daddy. Ugh! It just sounds so ignorant to me. I once overheard a 19 year old woman use that phrase and said something like "Gee, we used to have another way of saying that. Husband!"

Same goes for Baby Momma.

I'll be back with more..........

Honored Contributor

Close enough

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

“I’m sooooo busy”

Usually said by all those people who quantify & qualify their life 

by how full their DayPlanner is...when it’s just a sign they

can’t manage their time properly.

And for extra points, they usually say it with a breathy tone,

like they’ve been sprinting all day & this was they first time

they had a chance to sit down. 

🙄

Regular Contributor

@EastCoastGal wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

Thoughts and prayers

For example, instead of "thoughts and prayers for puerto rico" how about "i'm donating to the red cross to help puerto rico".  Instead of "thoughts and prayers for the men lost in battle" how about "i'm violunteering to fill food baskets for the wives and children of men lost in battle"

Thoughts and prayers aren't helpful, imo. Action is.

Honored Contributor

@Maudlynn wrote:

@EastCoastGal wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

Thoughts and prayers

For example, instead of "thoughts and prayers for puerto rico" how about "i'm donating to the red cross to help puerto rico".  Instead of "thoughts and prayers for the men lost in battle" how about "i'm violunteering to fill food baskets for the wives and children of men lost in battle"

Thoughts and prayers aren't helpful, imo. Action is.

@Maudlynn  I agree that actions speak louder than words.  However, a person offering thoughts and prayers does not automatically mean that said person isn't doing something in the background.

Posters here have been ripped for "bragging" about what they have donated; I wouldn't blame a poster for offering thoughts and prayers but leaving out something they have done, donations, actual physical work, etc.

A generalization doesn't mean that a person is just offering a nothing phrase.

I can think about those in distress, I can pray, and I can donate/give my time.

They are not mutally exclusive.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

The OP posed the question, "what phrase is finger nails on a chalkboard".  I have to say THAT phrase sends shivers down my back whenever I hear it because I can hear that scratching sound down a blackboard. 

There was always that smart aleck in every class that would come in and begin scrapping ..........EWWWW goosebumps!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Contributor

KIDDOS!!!  UGH!  Our local weather person and news reporters, young parents say this all the time!  "Oh I'm looking for playtime for my kiddos or we have 2 great little kiddos."   It's kids or children!

Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

The English language is very fluid.  Anybody who talks about proper English grammar like they  know what that is is either a dolt or serenely confident.  I exempt people who actually  have degrees in the English language, although I've never met anybody who had a degree in the English language.

Or they have fastened onto one narrow rule which may or may not apply in every situation.  Actually, we know there is nothing in English which applies in every situation.  Exceptions are the agony and glory of English.

There's a story attributed to Churchill (among others), about ending sentences in prepositions (one of those no-nos in English).  He said (supposedly) "that is the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put," or something to that effect.  Very funny.

Anyway, a rule of thumb for me is that anybody who gets irked about improper English usage has never read Shakespeare Smiley Happy

Why thank you for invalidating my degree in English Writing, my 30 years of teaching English, and my respect for the art of language and the beauty of the written word.  Good to know you see no worth in my career endeavors.  And by the way, not only have I studied Shakespeare extensively, but I have taught it to students who thought they would hate it, and discovered they like it. 

@RainCityWoman My daughter loved Shakespeare in high school and took an elective course in college.

Thanks for telling me this. It warms my heart to hear this.