Honored Contributor

Today I've gotten several calls from asterisk. I pick it up and there's no one there. My CID shows no number so I can't even block it. Anyone else get these calls from asterisk ? Who are they?

Respected Contributor

Re: Phone calls from "asterisk"

Hmmm.  A blocked number.  Who could it be?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee, I have not gotten the asterisk, but I have gotten 000-000-0000.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

A lot of info regarding this on Google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=phone+call+from+asterisk&oq=phone+calls+from+ast&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j...

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

It's weird. CID shows the word asterisk, not this symbol  * . Internet info is not clear as to who or what this means. I'm using a VoIP and I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Esteemed Contributor

Not had that but I have had all zeros like @SXMGirl. The other day DH got one with more numbers than a regular phone number. Definitely weird.

Trusted Contributor

I got a call from the all zeros too and it was my cable guy right outside my door calling to say he was here.  He was calling from his own personal cell phone and for some reason his area code was not registering on my network.  Not the boogey man yet annoying and I told him why I didn't answer my phone.  He was astounded.  He tried my other phone, the land line and no problem with caller id.

Honored Contributor

It is telemarketer.  Trust me on this one.  They dont answer because it os a computer seeing if it is a live number or not.  Once you answer, even your voicemail...the number is sold as hot number, and more calls come.  I get****, no number, politicalcall, and even numbers that mimic real numbers.  I had one tha said Kaiser Permanente.  Thought it was my granddaughter calling from her appt.  it was a robocall for some vacation.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee

I think they can put whatever they want to show up on the CID. They fooled me once when it showed my own name & number calling my own phone. Curiosity got the better of me on that one, it was a telemarketer. I’ve also seen the names of local florists show up but not with their correct number. Got fooled once on that one too. I pretty much don’t answer the phone at all anymore- unless it shows someone I know & their correct number. I get a lot that just say “incoming call.” Duh! Sometimes it’s my SIL so I don’t know why it doesn’t show her #. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. She’s calling from the same phone every time so it’s strange. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee

I think it means that the scammers/spammers find a million ways to ring your phone without revealing who they are.

In the last few weeks, I've gotten an increasing number of calls that show up as SPAM? and the number on my caller ID.

I've stopped blocking many calls as most of those numbers never call again.  If I see a number come in more than once a day, I'll block it.

Otherwise, they call from different numbers all the time.  Many times, if I am standing near the phone, I just disconnect the phone so it does not go to voice mail.

It never ends, but I just don't answer unless I know the number.