Respected Contributor

Phliadelphia School District to go viral until Nov

[ Edited ]

I just saw on the local news that the Philadelphia School District has reversed its plans to offer a hybrid model of in person classes and virtual learning to all virtual learning for at least the first marking period which is in mid-November.  Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations in the city have been rising. 

I live just south of Philly in Delaware and our numbers are rising as well.  Our governor has not yet decided the fate of our schools yet but if things are getting worse I hope we also go all virtual as well.  I work in the public school district and have been doing in person evaluations for special education students this summer.  I don't want to risk my health if things are getting worse.  I would rather do the evaluations virtually. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Phliadelphia School District to go viral until Nov

@ninjawife wrote:

I just saw on the local news that the Philadelphia School District has reversed its plans to offer a hybrid model of in person classes and virtual learning to all virtual learning for at least the first marking period which is in mid-November.  Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations in the city have been rising. 

I live just south of Philly in Delaware and our numbers are rising as well.  Our governor has not yet decided the fate of our schools yet but if things are getting worse I hope we also go all virtual as well.  I work in the public school district and have been doing in person evaluations for special education students this summer.  I don't want to risk my health if things are getting worse.  I would rather do the evaluations virtually. 

@ninjawife ~ I'm with you!  Hope Delaware decides to do the same.  Doing evaluations virtually, IMO, is the way to go.  Hope it works out that way🙏🏻

Honored Contributor

Took me a minute I guess viral is supposed to be VIRTUAL

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Our school district gave us a choice for either IRL (individual remote learning) or face to face when the first plans of schools re-opening came out.  About 2 weeks ago, the superintendent of schools announced there will be no face to face on campus instruction and it will all be URL (universal remote learning).  The difference between IRL and URL is that URL has live lesson by teachers and the teacher will be on campus and they are the high school teachers.  So, IRL is not an option any longer.  By the sound of it, it seems they are not ruling out trying to get back into the classroom in some fashion by the end of the year.  Personally, I'd rather stay URL to each December.  I have to inquire since we're all URL now, if we have a choice if they decide to go back face to face to stay URL, or maybe reinstate IRL.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@I am still oxox    I, too, wondered what a school district did to go viral.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

So parents that work do what?

Trusted Contributor

@ninjawife I too live in Delaware and our family is awaiting the Governor's decision.  I have 3 greatgrands.  One would be going to district pre-school, one would be starting kindergarten, one would be going into 3rd grade.  The two youngest will be kept home regardless of the decision and as for the 3rd grader the decision has not been made by her parents but they are hoping there is a delay.  

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter Our family is fortunate in that one of mothers who has one child takes care of the other two while that mother works.  Yes, she does pay her sister for child care.  However so many are not so lucky.  Even those that are working from home - how do they juggle work and child care?  It's a huge problem.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@I am still oxox    I, too, wondered what a school district did to go viral.

Come on ladies, OP made a mistake but most got what she was saying.

Valued Contributor

@mspatmac   agreed. There was a post just a few days ago where someone accidentally typed that their husband was 6 years old. Another poster responded with a good natured joke and it went over like a ton of bricks. I just don't get it?

Regarding the virtual learning.....if you are in a serious hot spot, or a growing hot spot, it just makes sense to not open that can of worms until it is safer. Why facilitate the spread?

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon