Honored Contributor

Re: Philadelphia - What an HONOR -- THE POPE today

Would be nice to see him in person. Although,  we're probably having the best, most relaxing view on television. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

I'm in suburban Philadelphia and will be going to Sunday's Mass.  Our parish had tickets available. We are going by bus and they said there will be a lot of walking involved from the drop off and on points.  It's well worth it to me.

Honored Contributor

I have been watching most of the Pope's visit to Wash DC.  At the end of his appearance on the balcony after his speech to Congress, he said to the enormous crowd, "Please pray for me," and then he added "For those who cannot pray, please extend to me your 'best wishes.'"  I said out loud to myself, "Thank you," and he will surely get that from me.

What a wonderful, inspiring man.  He includes all.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

I'm in suburban Philadelphia and will be going to Sunday's Mass.  Our parish had tickets available. We are going by bus and they said there will be a lot of walking involved from the drop off and on points.  It's well worth it to me.

How exciting for you abbeythe 8th to be able to go to Sunday's Mass.  I don't know the whole itinerary of the Pope but this is so inspirational to watch on TV from California.  Enjoy and post afterwards your experience.

Honored Contributor

As exciting it would be to go, it will be next to impossible to get anywhere near Philly much less trying to get around!

I've mentioned before that both of my kids live in Philly...one is a few blocks south of the security zone and she took Friday off of work and will be leaving town with friends for the weekend.  

My son lives a few blocks north of the security zone.  He's staying in town and has to work on Friday.  He's not moving his car since he has a good spot.  I asked him to come home for the weekend because we wanted him to come with us and visit some relatives but he's stuck and won't be able to move at all.  He'll just hang out with friends and see what's happening if he can.

Security is extremely high.  My daughter works in Center City and there have been welcoming flags and security fences up for days. Cars except VIPs have been removed for days as well. From what I have heard there will be sharpshooters scattered around key buildings.

Honored Contributor

if my daughter was still living in philly i would have gone in a heartbeat!

i have been enjoying all of the speeches, prayers, and comments made by the pope since he has arrived.

i wish he would have visited baltimore, which has the oldest catholic archdiocese in the country.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I hope the folks in Congress take the Pope's words to heart.  They probably won't though - this was just a show for most of them.

Honored Contributor

I have nieces and nephews who live in the Philly area.  One nephew is a cameraman for one of the cable news stations.  One of my niece is going to the Philly mass, along with her husband and children.  Her in-laws are coming in just to go to that mass with them.  They live in West Virginia.  My nephew, the cameraman, said it's going to be almost impossible to move around the city.  Kudos to those who have the stamina to go in person.  I've been "glued" to the TV most of the day yesterday and all morning today.  The coverage has been awesome and is sufficient for my needs (though it would certainly be thrilling for those present).   

I'm in the metro-DC area and am very proud also of the way everything has been handled.  Godspeed, Pope Francis.  

Valued Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i have been enjoying all of the speeches, prayers, and comments made by the pope since he has arrived.

i wish he would have visited baltimore, which has the oldest catholic archdiocese in the country.

If my daughter still lived in DC, I would have gone, but she moved 3 years ago. I have been following the visit on CNN, and have been enjoying it immensely. I was in tears as the Pope emerged from the plane. 

Honored Contributor

@staciesmom wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

If my daughter still lived in DC, I would have gone, but she moved 3 years ago. I have been following the visit on CNN, and have been enjoying it immensely. I was in tears as the Pope emerged from the plane. 

my brother and sister live in the DC area and i didnt even consider that as an option.i am less than an hour away from DC.  DC to me is so much more congested and more difficult  to get around than philly. that was a HUGE crowd they showed on tv! they told me that most everyone has taken off the past two days from work.....either to see the pope or avoid having to drive in.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein