Trusted Contributor

He was a genius; a true artist.  I always wanted to thank him for his contributions to the music industry.

A person I respect said this:

"Such wonderful music that has consoled people and will forever.

Both Beatles and Beach Boys would not have been the same

without him.  They both said that.  A real genius whose contribution will always be overshadowed by his faults."

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I also meant to mention that "To Know Him Was to Love Him" was written earlier on his father's tombstone before the song was written.

I don't know, however, if that phrase was instrumental in his writing the song even though the song has a romantic theme.

What a beautiful thing to see on a tombstone.  It could very well have been his inspiration.  I love the song.

@alicedeeHis dad died by suicide, too.  Phil was only 9 years old at the time.  I've often wondered if changing the words "was" into "is" did have to do with the original tombstone inscription.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

@Oznell  Was listening to Xm host go on & on & on with his attributes. Finally a nod to him being a murderer somewhere in all that.

Respected Contributor

@red&curly wrote:

@Oznell  Was listening to Xm host go on & on & on with his attributes. Finally a nod to him being a murderer somewhere in all that.

He made a big impact on the music industry.  It was heinous what he did, for sure.  I think anyone who followed him at the time of his crime could tell he was battling mental illness issues.  

Super Contributor

Uh ... YEA...  You my want to do a little research ! ! ! ! !

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Has the United States ever been an "eye for an eye" country? @Porcelain If so, thank goodness we have evolved.

Honored Contributor

He inspired some great music years ago,but the darkness took over his life.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

From what I heard on the news and read. That in the years of his major  musical accomplishments , he was involved in drug usage  and was extremely abusive to his wife . Did   drug usage  add a  dark side to his  psyche . Haven't read as to if any of his associates mentioned what his personality was like in the early 1960's  or before he began using drugs .

Respected Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

From what I heard on the news and read. That in the years of his major  musical accomplishments , he was involved in drug usage  and was extremely abusive to his wife . Did   drug usage  add a  dark side to his  psyche . Haven't read as to if any of his associates mentioned what his personality was like in the early 1960's  or before he began using drugs .

Definitely a guy with mega-talents and a train-wreck persona.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan in California wrote:

He was a genius; a true artist.  I always wanted to thank him for his contributions to the music industry.

A person I respect said this:

"Such wonderful music that has consoled people and will forever.

Both Beatles and Beach Boys would not have been the same

without him.  They both said that.  A real genius whose contribution will always be overshadowed by his faults."

@Susan in California there's a fine line between genius and insane. And he defintiely crossed the line and never went back.

Honored Contributor

Whatever he did, his music was amazing.....in that area, he was a genius.