Honored Contributor

Re: Pharmacy monopolies - unfair!

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

The only free meds I have ever gotten were samples from my doctors. Guess I can't relate since my meds have always cost me $$$. 

I likes the Pharmacy I used for years, but was pretty much forced to change to mail order. It had nothing to do with CVS or "the monopoly", as mentioned in this title. Still shocked at getting free meds, and I have taken many since 2002. Co-pays? Yes, but prices much higher as the years passed by.

Guess I find it hard for me to empathize for those that have gotten free meds, for however many years, when I have always paid for my own, regardless of the name of the pharmacy. 

What insurance did I miss out on having that had free prescription meds? Had insurance with a big company all of the 33 years I worked for them. Nothing was free when it came to meds. Then came age, and Medicare and a Secondary Insurer, still nothing free. Hmmm!

hckynut(john)

@hckynut 

we have our prescription plan through CAREFIRST (blue cross/blue shield). my daughter has a few prescriptions that are no cost to us, including birth control and an allergy medication.

Nothing is really free.  SOMEBODY pays for it.  That's what cracks me up about assertions that things are for free!

Hyacinth

If the pharmacy tells me there is no cost, it is free for me. What do you want people to say if there is no charge to them? Did you get a bill for my prescription that didn't cost me anything?

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

The only free meds I have ever gotten were samples from my doctors. Guess I can't relate since my meds have always cost me $$$. 

I likes the Pharmacy I used for years, but was pretty much forced to change to mail order. It had nothing to do with CVS or "the monopoly", as mentioned in this title. Still shocked at getting free meds, and I have taken many since 2002. Co-pays? Yes, but prices much higher as the years passed by.

Guess I find it hard for me to empathize for those that have gotten free meds, for however many years, when I have always paid for my own, regardless of the name of the pharmacy. 

What insurance did I miss out on having that had free prescription meds? Had insurance with a big company all of the 33 years I worked for them. Nothing was free when it came to meds. Then came age, and Medicare and a Secondary Insurer, still nothing free. Hmmm!

hckynut(john)

@hckynut 

we have our prescription plan through CAREFIRST (blue cross/blue shield). my daughter has a few prescriptions that are no cost to us, including birth control and an allergy medication.

Nothing is really free.  SOMEBODY pays for it.  That's what cracks me up about assertions that things are for free!

Hyacinth

If the pharmacy tells me there is no cost, it is free for me. What do you want people to say if there is no charge to them? Did you get a bill for my prescription that didn't cost me anything?

@hyacinth003@proudlyfromNJ

Hyacinth is right-obviously those of us who pay do not receive bills for other people but free meds are cost-factored into what ins. companies charge those of us who do pay.

It's the same with the free care at ER's-that cost is absorbed through those who have insurance.

There really is no such thing as a free lunch.

If insurance companies were that compassionate, we'd all have free meds.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 you mean if all the pharmaceutical companies were that generous we'd all have free meds.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ then yes ~ it's free!

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Cakers3 you mean if all the pharmaceutical companies were that generous we'd all have free meds.

@itiswhatitis  There ya go!

Esteemed Contributor

@sandraskatesHarry's head has not been around for a very long time. 

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

hckynut(john)

@hckynut 

Hyacinth

Hyacinth is right-obviously those of us who pay do not receive bills for other people but free meds are cost-factored into what ins. companies charge those of us who do pay.

It's the same with the free care at ER's-that cost is absorbed through those who have insurance.

@Cakers3@It is not just free for me, but for everyone. If you got your Metformin there, you would not pay either. I have an Advantage plan. I am not a poor person that needs free meds. Google Shoprite free Diabetis meds. They may absorb the cost I don't know. It is not the same as free emergency room care. That is for people with no insurance. Again, it is free for everyone.I pay monthly for Medicare just like every other senior that has it. I resent being labeled a moocher and that you all pay for my meds. Please see how this works. I'd post a link, but not with my tablet.

Honored Contributor

Our doctor is part of a large group called the millenium group and they also have a pharmacy. It is about 20 miles from our house BUT they deliver to your door. Prices are very good .I will probably change to using them if we ever stop snowbirding.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's crazy how people don't understand how pricing of medication works.  Yes, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

You pay.  You pay a lot.  

And I pay....and I pay a lot.

I'm not sick, but I pay for your medication.

Your medication, which most of the time,

could be eliminated with nutritional therapy.  

So I have a vested interest.

The system handing out Metformin, like it was candy, is deplorable.

Reminds of those grade school drug education classes to scare us.

The drug dealer will give you a 'freebie' to get 'ya hooked.

See why my diabetes discussions to reverse diabetes is met with such resistance?  

People think, "Why should I work to reverse when I can get the 'cow for free'?"  Popping a pill will kill. Always has; always will.

IMG_1416.jpg

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

hckynut(john)

@hckynut 

Hyacinth

@Cakers3@It is not just free for me, but for everyone. If you got your Metformin there, you would not pay either. I have an Advantage plan. I am not a poor person that needs free meds. Google Shoprite free Diabetis meds. They may absorb the cost I don't know. It is not the same as free emergency room care. That is for people with no insurance. Again, it is free for everyone.I pay monthly for Medicare just like every other senior that has it. I resent being labeled a moocher and that you all pay for my meds. Please see how this works. I'd post a link, but not with my tablet.

@proudlyfromNJI am very sorry if you mistook my post to indicate that you are a moocher.  The discussion is revolving around free meds and how the cost is absorbed, not about folks receiving free meds.

If you are receiving a medication for free I am happy for you.  I also don't mind paying my little co-pay because it's just part of my Advantage plan. 

There is such a wide range of medications and Tier assignments, too, that raise or lower costs depending upon the type of med.

Again, in no way do I view you as a moocher; you are fortunate to have this benefit.

But you would agree that pharmacies are going to pass off savings when they configure the cost of every med they produce.

That was the point of these posts.