Respected Contributor

Pharma Bro invokes the Fifth before Congress

[ Edited ]

What a sweetheart.

From NBC News dated Feb 4 2016:

Former drug executive Martin Shkreli, who called members of Congress "imbeciles" on social media, faced members of that legislative body on Thursday morning during a hearing on pharmaceutical pricing.

The normally talkative Shkreli invoked the Fifth Amendment when he appeared before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform to discuss his actions as head of Turing Pharmaceuticals, in raising the price of Daraprim by more than 5,500 percent.

Daraprim, which went from costing $13.50 per pill to $750 per pill, is used to treat toxoplasmosis, a parasitic condition that can occur in pregnant women and people with the HIV virus.

Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz asked Shkreli what he would say to a pregnant woman with AIDS who needed his company's medication but couldn't afford it. Shkreli invoked the Fifth.

He smirked, rolled his eyes and looked away when Ranking Democrat, Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Maryland tried to appeal to his sense of morality and reflect on his actions.

Shkreli looked ready to laugh as lawmakers talked about the victims of Turing Pharmaceuticals.

Cummings angrily yelled him, "It's not funny, Mr. Shkreli. People are dying. And they're getting sicker and sick."

Pharma.jpg

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

Re: Pharma Bro invokes the Fifth before Congress

@Say Nay

This guy is a D.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was clicking thru channels and landed on this event.  As I watched the drug executive, I literally felt sick to my stomach.   Yes, it is his right to invoke the Fifth Amendment, but what a jerk!!  He sat there and almost laughed out loud while the congressmen were talking/questioning him. Disgusting human being, I wonder how he can live with himself....

Respected Contributor

I watched this on Fox Business news this morning.  His smirk and smile as they asked him questions was sickening.  I don't wish cancer on others but he seemed to find it funny when they asked him questions about his drug and those who can't afford it.

Honored Contributor

And he probably has the best legal representation his millions will buy.

Honored Contributor

Seeing his smirk when asked about cancer patients who cannot afford his treatment, I really wonder what he is on. 

Honored Contributor

His parents and the rest of his family must be so proud...Smiley Frustrated

Respected Contributor

That boy needs to be taken out back of the wood shed.

Valued Contributor

I don't know a whole lot about this clown, but where did he get his money?  Anybody know?  

Honored Contributor

@Kardi  Wall Street hedge fund manager