Respected Contributor

Re: Peter Wang Age 15, Request For Military Burial

A full honors burial does NOT mean burial in a military ceremony. 

Flag draped coffin, military honor guard, taps, 21 gun salute, flag presented to the parents by a military official.

I don't see any problem with him having this as well as the other junior ROTC members. It would be an honor to honor them-

Honored Contributor

@sidsmomwrote:

What exactly is a full-honors burial?

I would assume it would have flag covering & taps, yes?

Would his grave be in a different cemetery? 

You can have a full military burial in any cemetery if you are in or were in the military.

i don’t see why he could not have a ROTC ceremony with his fellow ROYC members there. It’s not against any law to drape a coffin with the flag...it’s done for police officers.

He could have taps played too.  

He could not, however be buried in a military cemetery like Arlington.  It would not be a full military ceremony, but something special could be done.

Esteemed Contributor

I totally disagree.  I do not say this without compassion.  He was a wonderful, awe-inspiring young man.

However, a full military burial is improper as that is reserved for service personnel/veterans.  I do believe it would be proper for the RTOC to provide a similar type burial service.

It seems everyone here seems to think in the opposite manner as I.  Realize our military covers many veterans; people who have servied their country in wartimes.  When my Dad passed he did have a military funeral, but many WWII veterans could not because of the large numbers of veterans passing at the time.  So, imho,  I think this is just wrong.  And today is no different.  We're still having many military funerals for those who died on active duty and or veterans.  In one respect it's the law of suppy and demand.  In another respect, it's a show of respect for those who served in our military.

Esteemed Contributor

The young hero was a member of his high school Jr.ROTC, I believe, My son was an ROTC cadet, which I believe is the designation for college students who are cadets.

God Bless him. Mature way beyond his young 15 years.

Honored Contributor

For those who are interested, there are many different ways one can have a military burial.

My father gave up his spot at Arlington because he believed that only those killed in the line of duty should be buried there. He saw war but wasn't killed; many of his friends were and he would visit them there. Instead, he gave up his spot and chose to be buried in a Memorial Park. His funeral was was based as to what the Memorial Park allowed (they vary) and it was beautiful.

I've attended those that included every aspect one can imagine for a military burial and those that simply had the flag draped over the coffin, the family saluted and taps played. Trust me, no matter what, you FEEL the honor and respect in your bones no matter how the ceremony goes.

Honored Contributor

It would be nice if they could start a fund me account, for a scholarship program in his name..

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme  After reading your post, I was talking about this  with my husband last night and am posting his response.  He was career Air Force, serving over 20 years.  Our family has a history of service in the military; his grandfather (Army), father (Navy), brothers (Navy and USMC), daughter (Air Force) and grandson (Air Force)  Two sons-in-law have served (Army and Air Force).  I'm only telling you this so you know where he's coming from with his response.

"While we are trying to discuss a full military funeral for 15-year old Peter Wang, remember we are doing so under a very emotional time.  Perhaps some time should pass and cooler heads address the issue.  Peter was a member of the JROTC program.  While the JROTC (Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps) is a mandated program run by the US military, it has little to do with the military.  Yes, they wear military looking uniforms.  So do the Boy Scouts of America and the Campfire girls.  Each of these programs have a smiliar mission, to prepare young people to be better citizens and patriots.  The ROTC (JROTC) is not geared toward a military indoctrination.

Is this a door we really want opened?  Does a young man, participating in a sanctioned high school program, deserve full military honors because he was killed by a disturbed young man with a military looking firearm?  What is his real connection to the U.S. Military?  None, except military personnel provide instruction on good citizenship.  A full military funeral would give a whole different meaning to his life and to his death.

As nice as it may sound like a nice gesture to recognize his actions and his premature death, this is a door that once opened, can never be closed.  Who else will someday be provided military honors because they acted while wearing paramilitary dress?  How much do we want to dilute the honors reserved for U.S. Military men and women who have served this nation sworn to protect and preserve the U.S. Constitution with an oath to do their duty even if it costs them their lives?  While it sounds good on the surface, there are far more things to consider, other than the boy's youth and the clothes he was wearing."

My husband usually adds "JOMO" to things he writes - so I am doing it for him.  (Just One Man's Opinion).

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure I saw on CNN that his funeral was today.  This must not have been something that his parents wanted, but something others thought of.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@sophiamarie

I agree that a military funeral should be reserved for military/veterans.

While I greatly empathize with those petitioning for this, I fully believe it is not proper.  When circumstances are tragic, we must not act in a drastic manner, i.e., changing the regulations - the rules reserved only for those who have served in our military.  Imho a military funeral is a very special honor bestowed on our deceased military/veterans.  As I mentioned my Dad who served in the Navy in WWII, and also a very special man  in my life, who served two tours in Vietnam, Marine-Recon, had military funerals  They did their duty.  I feel they deserved this honor:  a special honor I feel which should not be disrespected.  No exemptions should be made.  No petitions should be put forth, imho as  I believe changing the laws would disrespect those who served in our armed forces. 

I was shocked years ago, when my Dad passed to find out not every WWII veteran qualifies for a military funeral.  So, if those others who still served in the war would not qualify, certainly someone never in the service, let alone a war,  should be afforded  that honor.  I'm sure this young man will be layed to rest in a proper service in the presence of his family, friends and JROTC members.  

Thanks for your and your husband's helpful comments.  I totally agree - it is a door once opened, can never be closed.  And, I firmly believe we should not go down that very slippery slope.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How nice to find out there were honors for all three ROTC members and a medal was presented to Peter’s family.  Peter was posthumously admitted to the West Point Class of 2025.