Honored Contributor

Peter Wang Age 15, Request For Military Burial

I hope there is some kind of special recognition for this brave young man.  Heartbreaking.

A petition to the White House is asking for a junior ROTC member credited with saving several of his classmates’ lives during the Florida high school shooting to be given a full-honors military burial.

Peter Wang, 15, was among the 17 people killed during the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Wednesday. Family members said that Wang was seen holding open a door during the shooting, allowing others to escape.

The petition, hosted on the official White House petition site, was created on Friday and had earned nearly 18,000 signatures as of Sunday evening.

He died while wearing his uniform, according to the petition.

“His selfless and heroic actions have led to the survival of dozens in the area,” the petition reads. “Wang died a hero, and deserves to be treated as such, and deserves a full honors military burial.”

The Hill

Honored Contributor

Re: Peter Wang Age 15, Request For Military Burial

Image result for peter wang

Honored Contributor

I hope they can. I'm not sure it will happen, but there should be some sort of hero's sevice to honor this wonderful young man

Just another example of a great kid....

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

His parents have to be willing to do this because they and his siblings if he had any, will not be allowed to be laid to rest at a military cemetery.  Only veterans and their spouse are allowed.  He is a child, yes a brave one but he should be with his family so they all can be together in the same cemetery one day.  

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

I hope they can. I'm not sure it will happen, but there should be some sort of hero's sevice to honor this wonderful young man

Yes @cherry  There must be something.  Maybe at least special recognition from the ROTC at his funeral, he was so proud of his affiliation.

Honored Contributor

@cherrywrote:

I’m just blown away by how mature so many of these children are.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@cherrywrote:

Yes @cherry  There must be something.  Maybe at least special recognition from the ROTC at his funeral, he was so proud of his affiliation.

I hope this can be arranged.

Honored Contributor

The poor kid sort of died on active duty .as I see it. Of course .I'm only a mother .and  other people might not agree

Persons Eligible for Burial in a VA National Cemetery. A. Veterans and Members of the Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard): Any member of the Armed Forces of the United States who dies on active duty. Any veteran who was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.

Honored Contributor

There is an online petition for him  to make this happen. This will point the way. I will not link, in hopes it won't be poofed

://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-cadet-peter-wang-receive-full-honors-military-burial

Honored Contributor

As veterans, neither my husband nor myself have any problem with this. Had he not stayed and held open the door, well...

He stayed and stood his ground so others could run to safety without issue. He paid the ultimate price for doing so if what we've read is correct. 

In the end, this MUST be what HIS family wants; even more so if they believe this what HE would want. I support them in whatever they choose to do.