Respected Contributor
Gum chewing- absolutely. Drives me crazy when I see if at religious services and dressed up events.
Talking on cell phone while checking out at counter - rude- while driving-life-threatening.
Neglecting lawns until unsightly.
Leaving grass-cuttings on sidewalk, throwing sticks from private property into street. Properties look so much better when cleaned.

A therapeutic topic. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

@sallybusky wrote:

@Puppy Lips: Not receiving a Thank You note for wedding gifts bug me too. If you have a close relationship with your brother, I think it would be ok to mention it to him. Although it isn't the father's problem, he surely won't mind giving his son a reminder that people go out of their way, financially and otherwise, to make sure their day was special. 

What's the value in receiving a thank-you if you have to ask for it?  I agree it's annoying though.

Honored Contributor

My new pet peeve after reading this thread is people who complain about someone chewing gum. 

Respected Contributor

I'm in my 60s and have always lived very near siblings and celebrated their children's birthdays and Christmases together when they were young.  I had no problem with the kids verbally thanking me for gifts when young. 

Our family is a tale in the extreme differences in raising children.  One sister and one brother each have 2 children and when the kids were young, my sister's household had structure, rules, had consequences for wrongdoing, whereas my brother's home had none.  All kids are now in their mid to late 20s and my sister's two have always sent thank you cards for special occasions such as HS and college graduations and weddings - my brother's rarely have.  About 2 years ago one of my brother's daughters got married on the spur of the moment at the courthouse - while there paying a tax bill!  She had a backyard barbeque reception weeks later and ppl brought gifts.  In lieu of thank you cards she posted pictures of the barbeque and put out a group thank you on Facebook.  This girl is tacky anyway so I was shocked she even bothered to do that!

Super Contributor

Someone posted about graduation invites/gift solicitations. I've never been comfortable with the way that works so when my daughter graduated high school we didn't send out any. We also didn't send any when she graduated college; we knew she was going two more years for her masters. Close family and friends already knew of the date and attended, no need for a formal invite.

Anyway, when she got ready to send out invitations for the masters graduation she decided to go with announcements instead of invitation-style, and she put a note in each one. The gist of the note was a thank you for making a difference in her life-- and "please send no gift as you've already given the gift that mattered most". I was so very proud, still am.

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Respected Contributor

I am tired of going into businesses and feeling like I am bothering them by being there.  I don't want them to smother me but when I ask a question I don't want to be made to feel I am interupting them from their personal converations or computer.

Valued Contributor

My pet peeve is getting drawn into an argument. And the reason for that is, it's always my fault I decided to get involved. So I basically get in trouble with myself. 

Honored Contributor

I agree with a lot of things mentioned. 

My top peeves: 

People who are always late - just plain disrespectful to others

Slow drivers in the fast lane and people who don't use turn signals 

People too lazy to put shopping carts back

Litterbugs of any kind - including those nasty cigarette butts thrown out car windows. I always find it humorous that they don't mind polluting their lungs, but heaven forbid their car should smell of smoke. 

Messes and messy people. I am a neat freak, but I am married to a messy person so I am actually learning to live  with some mess. I guess that's probably good for me.