Super Contributor

I have a simple, 1950s name. There is a more formal version, and a shortened, nickname version. Legally my name is the simply, 1950s version, yet most every teacher tried to use the formal version for school records, etc.

And only one ex-husband (yet one more reason he's an EX) would use the shortened, nickname version when he was smashed drunk....to this day, I hate it b/c it reminds me of his slobbery drunk state.

Couple the above with the fact that not only are there 3 versions, there are also several spellings, and even if I spell it out before pronouncing it to someone asking my name, they want to add additional letters or spell it differently.

And to top off the confusion....my mom had the same name but her's is spelled differently than mine.

Always swore I'd NEVER, EVER name a child the same name as a parent, yet my late dh insisting our first born child have his name to start the I, II, III, IV, etc. tradition.

Regular Contributor

I named my 3 daughters names that I was sure could not be ""nicked"" Ha

Elaine-laine

Amy-aim

Marcie-mousie.

We always used their full names but some people didn't.

Respected Contributor

You are free to correct them with a few words and a smile. But on the scale of important things in life, this isn't even a blip.