Honored Contributor

Re: Pet Peeve = ""Lose"" vs. ""Loose""

On 12/2/2014 minkbunny said:

MJ, your funny.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Honored Contributor

You know what drives me NUTS? (Do you care?)

YAY-- Means you're happy and your jumping up and down clapping your hands. Pronounced just as it's spelled.

Yeah-- Is an informal 'yes', means you're happy, you're probably not jumping up and down and you may clap your hands once. Pronounced 'ya-ah', first 'a' is a long 'a'.

Yea--How Ben Franklin said 'yes'. Pronouced 'yee'.

Honored Contributor

Another pet peeve - occasionally reading the word ""wierd."" It just doesn't even LOOK right.

Respected Contributor

On 12/2/2014 MJ 12 said:
On 11/29/2014 mstyrion 1 said:

the cat's and dog's are playing in the street's

And I'll add: The sun is shinning.

that's weigh funny!

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

I wish people would use quotation marks when they post a quote from an article.

Sometimes it's hard to tell which ones are the poster's words or ideas and which ones aren't.

Just a small pet peeve.Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

On 12/2/2014 MJ 12 said:

Another pet peeve - occasionally reading the word ""wierd."" It just doesn't even LOOK right.

neice/niece

I use more than one server. Spell Check underlines misspellings on all my servers.

Super Contributor

On 11/30/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Oh boy, I could go on forever, but will resist.

My pet peeves are confusion between:

"to" and "too"

Could care less ... and COULDN'T care less

"ax" and "ask" ... what's up with THAT ???

I better stop ... {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

I've seen the first two used mistakenly here, but I don't think I've ever seen the word ax used here instead of ask.

Pronunciation is a different matter, but considering the different dialects all over this country alone, I'm afraid we're all guilty in someone's eyes.

Honored Contributor

On 12/2/2014 lulu2 said:
On 12/2/2014 MJ 12 said:

neice/niece

I use more than one server. Spell Check underlines misspellings on all my servers.

'neice' doesn't look right either

Hi lulu!

Valued Contributor

This was an interesting thread to read. I know that my writing is not perfect, but since the question was asked, my pet peeve is using the words "of" and "have".

Example, I wish I would of (should be have)......

I would also add the words, "two, to, and too" to the list.

Honored Contributor

On 11/30/2014 sidsmom said:
On 11/29/2014 dooBdoo said:
On 11/29/2014 Free2be said:

I was once corrected here for using loose instead of lose which annoyed be because I know better. My mistakes are from being in a rush and not wanting to bother taking time to re-read or spell check. The last time I was corrected was when I accidentally left the e off of Maine. OMG, slap me.

My particular pet peeve is the seeming loss in our language of the word fewer. Everything is less. Also, question marks at the end of declarative sentences are distracting.

A fact of life is that not everyone paid close attention in spelling classes and they have no investment in trying to do better.

I observe this but wouldn't correct anyone or want to embarrass them. I appreciate when my mistakes aren't corrected because I see them myself, after the fact, and am harder on myself than anyone else could be.

Edited to say "me", not "be" in the first paragraph. See? I always check after the fact!

I agree with your post, Free. I'm embarrassed to say I have a degree in English language and literature but I've forgotten as much as I learned.{#emotions_dlg.blushing} I, too, am hard on myself and I wince when I look back and see a glaring error in one of my posts. I tend to notice mistakes but I seldom comment on them because I'm aware I frequently make them myself. I do understand this is casual conversation and formalities can be overlooked. But it does bother me to see so many who seem to be unaware of (and unconcerned about) the correct homonym, proper spelling, grammar, and so on. Beautiful, thoughtful writing is a wonderful thing to behold.

Remember when we used to diagram sentences? Not just on paper but on the blackboard in front of the entire class? I would get so nervous...!!

I'm one of those nuts who liked diagramming sentences.{#emotions_dlg.blushing} It was like a game, and I felt the same way about algebra, geometry, and all my other math classes. It makes sense, looking back, because it's part of the aptitude for parsing and programming code.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova