Contributor

Pet Peeve = "Lose" vs. "Loose"

In many posts I read lately, I notice the use of the word "loose" instead of "lose". As in someone plans to loose several pounds this year. As many times as I've seen it used, it doesn't appear to be a typo. It has now become a pet peeve of mine, lol. Just had to vent that or I will "loose" my mind! Anyone have a pet peeve they would like to share?

Super Contributor

Re: Pet Peeve = ""Lose"" vs. ""Loose""

Marshmellows.

Esteemed Contributor

As a victim of spell check myself, I give folks a pass.

Super Contributor

I have many, many pet peeves while perusing these boards - but I realize that not everyone has the same reading or comprehension level as I do. So I try not to let all the misspellings or grammatical errors grate on my nerves. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

My pet peeve is me. My fingers and my brain seem to fight each other. I know better, but still do it. {#emotions_dlg.blush} Forgive me.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Spell check is dumb and makes many errors.
Trusted Contributor

Stuff like that drives me crazy too....but I have just turned a blind eye to it. I don't blame spellcheck anymore, people know how to use it, and should check their posts before hitting the send button.....I blame the massacre of the English language because it is not being taught properly in schools today. I also blame technology...because it has made people depend on these tools to be correct for them.....including calculators. My biggest pet peeve is the use if the word "to". I am going too.....not "to".
Honored Contributor

My pet peeve is overuse of the quote feature. It's hard to read so many quotes.
Honored Contributor

On 11/29/2014 RedHeadedWench said: Stuff like that drives me crazy too....but I have just turned a blind eye to it. I don't blame spellcheck anymore, people know how to use it, and should check their posts before hitting the send button.....I blame the massacre of the English language because it is not being taught properly in schools today. I also blame technology...because it has made people depend on these tools to be correct for them.....including calculators. My biggest pet peeve is the use if the word "to". I am going too.....not "to".

That's not entirely accurate. I do know how to spell. If QVC's forum was more user friendly, especially to iPad users, I'd spend more time proofing my posts before hitting send. Most of the time I'm just happy when a post actually posts!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

P.S. Even your post has typos.Wink

Honored Contributor

Pretty much what RHW said. It makes me cringe but I try to just move along and keep my trap shut.

There are a million of them! Aside from the lose/loose thing (for me, anyway) there is the there/their/they're thing and using the word 'went' when it should have been 'gone' (i.e. 'I should have went to the store). *CRINGE* How does that sound right?

Oh, and while we're at it - pronouns. I actually heard somebody say 'Me and him was best friends'. Not a single thing right in that sentence. Just concentrating on the pronouns, if people don't understand the right one to use, there are a few simple rules - 1) Put the other person first in the sentence; and 2) take one person out of the sentence and see if it sounds right. For example - (wrong) 'Me and her went to the movies'. If you take 'her' out it says 'me went to the movies'. No es bueno, right? How about 'she and I went to the movies'?. That would work.

Then there is the typing in all caps or all bolded, which is considered screaming and very impolite.

Of course, I cannot leave off the typing of everything in one ginormous sentence with a bunch of dots every few words. I know things have changed. When I was in school we learned basic sentence structure in grammar school. I hate to think that some folks didn't even get to go to grammar school. That stuff just makes my eyeballs bleed. But I do my best to ignore it. I can read it if it's a very short post. Beyond that, I have to just move past it.

/vent&rant Smiley Happy