Valued Contributor

Re: Pet Peeve: Just Ring The Doorbell

I live in a large city where package theft is a huge problem. I usually run outside the second I receive a delivery email or text to retrieve my package; however, delivery notices are arriving later and later. Today I got a delivery notice from UPS several hours after the actual delivery was made. Amazon is the worse offender - I've received delivery notices from them 24-36 hours after delivery. Because of this, I find myself running outside a dozen time a day checking for packages. Oh well, I'm sure my neighbors are amused!

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2

The exact thing happens to me also. The UPS guy knows me - because he's at my house often - so he rings the bell and actually waits til I open the door. When other UPS men, FedX - and even my mailman of 3 yrs deliver packages --- they leave it in plain sight on my porch.They never ring the bell -- occasionally they'll knock, which I can't hear if the tv is on or if I'm upstairs, etc.

My house is on a corner - so I have several windows I constantly look out when expecting a package - I usually see them so I'm ready!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Jasmine19

I do the same thing --- I consider it exercise.

Honored Contributor

USPS always rings my doorbell but does not wait for me to answer.  Fed-Ex never.  UPS only rings around the holidays.  We haven't had a problem with package theft in our neighborhood so that is probably why they don't ring.  I have found packages on my porch in the morning when I leave that have been there all night!

Valued Contributor

I’m just the opposite - I prefer they don’t ring the bell. My dog barks like crazy whenever the doorbell rings.  It takes at least ten minutes to calm her down. I expect there are folks with young children, who may be napping, that prefer their bell not be rung.

Respected Contributor

During the day My cats alert me.  Before cats my dogs did.   But for some reason if the delivery comes after dark the cats are off the clock and do not alert me.

Respected Contributor

I have large plants and a hedge at my porch. They could easily hide a package but no most delivery guys will just right in front of door and rarely ring or knock.

And another thing.......About perishables.......If you look at the tracking and it indicates at 7am that your package is out for delivery it is crazy to let it set on the truck until 7pm.

Respected Contributor

My doorbell is battery operated and if you don't push it just so, it won't ring.

One day I knew I had a post office delivery that needed to have a signature, so I stayed home all day waiting for the postman.  Nothing happened.  Later in the day I went outside and the postman taped a notice to the side of the door that said he rang, but I didn't answer and that I could drive to the post office the next day and pick it up after noon.  That's another day of waiting and a 20 minute drive.  GRRR.  Then I realized that the batteries in the doorbell were dead and needed to be replaced.  Great timing.

Esteemed Contributor

Consider yourself lucky.  

1. Package left end of driveway near trash can to be picked up

2.  Package left under or near right back tire on driveway

3.  Package left at neighbors

4.  Package left in mailbox... stuffed and ruined flag on mail box (rural mailbox)

Front door with or withoiut doorbell ring would be just fine for me.  

Respected Contributor

The drivers run full out all day long delivering packages (I have seen them actually run).  Their day doesn't end until all the packages are delivered.  Some places they must find a parking space then run back to the delivery location, they get stuck in traffic, rain, snow and ice storms, construction site backups - all kinds of circumstances to slow down their delivery day and miss up the delivery time schedule..  They have a hard job and go home tired.  For those of you who wonder why they can't just wait until you answer the door - they don't have the time.  I can also understand why they don't always ring the bell if it isn't easily seen or accessible.  They want to finish their long work day and get home at a reasonable hour.

My UPS delivery people leave my packages on my porch glider - don't know if they ring the bell as I'm not home.  They do leave a dog treat tho!  Me and the dog think they do a fine job.