Honored Contributor

Re: Pet Peeve: Just Ring The Doorbell

None of the delivery people where I live, ring.  Fine with me, as all my various pets over the years, saw the bell as the "intruder alert" and reacted accordingly. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyM23

I'm aware how hard the delivery people work - yes - they're always running and having to drive that huge truck. I blame the companies, ie, UPS, Fed-Ex, etc. I'm sure they're told not to ring the doorbell - I assume some people don't like that. I'm sure they're over-worked just like the rest of America. Remember companies' slogan, "we're mean and lean." from the 1990's - and they haven't changed.

Honored Contributor

I'm also sure delivery people have been told not to ring the bell.  The companies have probably done studies and figured it takes extra seconds, especially if the homeowner engages in conversation.  I havent had my doorbell rung by a delivery person in at least 2 years.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@kivah  I agree.  I worked for a large corporation who did a lot of "downsizing". That all started in the 90's as you mentioned.  They expect the impossible from their employees and only care about the bottom llne.  Work actually used to be enjoyable until the 90's.  A small book was published about that time named "Who moved the Cheese" and it was about people's reaction to those changes in the workplace.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624

I live in a beautiful area of Oxnard, CA - unfortunately, lots of addicts/homeless people moved nearby. If a package is at someone's door - it's gone in a New York Minute. I'm on nextdoor dot com - and everyone is having this problem. Lots of thieves are riding bikes - sometimes walking. People are putting in those cameras - but the police can't chase after them. Some of the people look healthy - but they're thieves.

Esteemed Contributor

@KathyM23

I'm now almost 78 yrs old - and happily retired. I started working in NYC in 1956--58 after school and on Saturdays. Then, after graduating high school in 1958 - I studied shorthand and typing - became a secretary. Companies made u feel welcome and comfortable - nothing was rushed. They even took u to lunch a few times a year and had Christmas parties in grand NY hotels. I moved to Calif. in 1966 - and I enjoyed working - and was treated well by my employers. Once they brought in the computer - in the mid-1980's they put u in a cubicle (like solitary confinement) and made u feel like ur just a number. I never learned the computer as I became a realtor during the years they were training people. I also did a lot of temp work - where they didn't even introduce u to others and I felt invisible. One very mean company is Blue Cross. I worked in several of their locations in southern Calif. The women supervisors were the meanest. I sure won't forget them!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@kivah  My work experiences sounds pretty much like yours.  Working used to be not exactly what you would call fun, but it was pleasant for the most part and I enjoyed all my jobs, except the last few years of my last job when the downsizing and bottom line mentality started.  Companies seems to forget it was people actually working there and not machines.  I remember feeling valued in my jobs until the last couple years in the 90's.

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm also sure delivery people have been told not to ring the bell.  The companies have probably done studies and figured it takes extra seconds, especially if the homeowner engages in conversation.  I havent had my doorbell rung by a delivery person in at least 2 years.

@september,@Kachina624  I have never once had a delivery company ring my bell.  UPS will sometimes beep their horn when they pull up and my sweet Beagle used to howl when  he heard the trucks ( Aroooo! )  Heart

Honored Contributor

If I'm not home, I don't know if my bell is rung or not........

Honored Contributor

Here-put one of these on your doorstep.  It might help.  And now I have Anita Ward singing in my head.  LOL

Related image

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh