Respected Contributor

Re: Pet Other Than Dogs and Cats?

Growing up we had a dog, birds, hamsters, turtles.  Never had a cat but now I've been a cat Mom for decades.  

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain  My parents had a neighbor who used to leave the radio on for her parakeet. He heard, Try it you'll like it." and used to say that. Mine never seemed to live very long much less talk.

Esteemed Contributor

@SloopJohnB - amazing isn't it. And, the egg laying didn't start until we moved into this house after about 3 years. Go figure.

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl 

You're right about rats. Our rat had a sense of humor.

Esteemed Contributor

Beta fish and turtles 

Honored Contributor

@Gorgf 

That's wonderful. I would have been happy if ours would have said that. It's appropriate for every occasion.

Respected Contributor

@riley1  Yes, it took awhile for us, too.  🐦

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

Right now I have a needy, attention hoarding cat and pond fish.  The fish know me.  They love a little touch on the head when I feed them.  Interesting animals.  I have had cats, a couple dogs,  frog, turtle, guinea pig, hampsters as a kid.  Throughout my adult life it has been  mainly cats and one dog.  Our dog passed away 8 years ago at 16 years old.  We didnt gets new one as we felt as we aged it  would be harder to take care when they the age.  We would only get a larger dog, an when they get older and havehad hips it is hard to carry them  and help them  it wouldbe like the blind leading the blind.   I would so adore a big doodle, retrieveror lab.  Sigh.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Right now I have two cats (I think they own me more than I own them) and way too many fish and snails. I've got eight more exotic snails on the way to me by Fed-Ex two-day shipping which have been in Boise, Idaho for the last four days. Yeah, "two-day shipping" seems to be a bit slow these days. They arrived in Boise early Sunday morning and should have been here (New Jersey) by Tuesday, but they're still in Boise as I type this. I'm beginning to think they're using the snails to deliver themselves.

I don't have a good relationship with Fed-Ex. For over a decade they had us living in a different town and would load any packages coming here on the wrong truck. Their mapping software insisted we lived two miles from where we live in another town, despite our town being clearly listed on the address. That truck driver wasn't allowed to veer off his route to deliver packages here so they'd go back to the distribution facility after his route was completed and then get loaded onto the right truck the next day. Though it wasn't unusual for them to end up on the wrong truck a second day. The local Fed-Ex center kept saying they couldn't adjust the software themselves and needed to wait for an update of the map from corporate. Everyone in this neighborhood would groan when they heard something was coming Fed-Ex. They've been a little better lately, though in January they did deliver a package of mine four miles away and I had to go retrieve it. Fed-Ex is not my preferred delivery service.

Some good news! The snails finally made it out of Boise and found their way to Memphis. (No doubt they're stopping off to visit Graceland.) The bad news is Fed-Ex has given up on trying to predict when they'll get here. They've gone from Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, back to Wednesday, and now they say "Scheduled Delivery: Pending" on their website, and on the phone app they claim they can't determine the expected delivery date. Both agree they're still in Memphis though, so "pending" is apparently not today. Luckily snails are generally tough little buggers, but we're getting close to a week since they've been bagged and shipped and that might be pushing the upper limits of their toughness. So much for two-day shipping. Ah well, at least I know their delivery is pending. Now if I only knew when "pending" was. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Has anyone been successful in getting a parakeet to talk? 

Much as we tried, ours would just dance about bobbing his head.

@occasionalrain we had a parakeet named Nicki years ago and we taught him to say "pretty bird" but he'd go, "pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty BIRD" and we used to say he was conceded.  LOL

By the way, we were living in Canada at the time and there, parakeets are called "budgies".