Honored Contributor

Pet Other Than Dogs and Cats?

Have you had pets other than dogs and cats in residence?

Although we've had dogs and cats, over the years we've also had a ferret, Guinea pigs, bunnies, a parakeet and a rat.

My son loves animals.

Honored Contributor

Re: Pet Other Than Dogs and Cats?

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain - You've had a good variety of pets! Growing up we had gerbils, frogs, turtles, fish, as well as a German Shepherd  (when I was very young) and a cat. We all loved animals, and my brother wanted to be a veterinarian when he was young. He changed his mind when he was 15 and spent the summer working at a shelter (unfortunately not a no-kill one).

DH and I have always had kitties, but DH has treated pets and other animals of all kinds, both small animal and large animal.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Over the years we had horses, tons of tropical fish and exotic scorpians,  a tarantula,  an iguana (son worked in pet store), pair of newts, a parakeet, Guinea pigs, rabbit and a raccoon.   Many, many dogs and cats..  So often I felt as though I owned the zoo.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Lots of rabbits and rats and mice, specializing in disabled animals.  They are so grateful and loving.

Respected Contributor

In addition to dogs we have had fish, a rabbit, and turtles.  That is about it for us though.

I feel like I have Chip and Dale as outside pets now since they absolutely love my garden plants.  I tried various non toxic methods to keep them out of the plants and finally had some luck with egg shells.  They are the cutest things, but I also valued the tomatoes & the other plants.  LOL  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

As a child I always had cats, dogs, and hamsters.  I got a rabbit as a teenager as well.

As an adult, I currently have two dogs and a Black Headed Caique (bird).  We have more than we can handle with those three.

My husband loves reptiles and amphibians, so we have also had turtles, red-eyed tree frogs, a bearded dragon, and something else I can't remember the name of right now.  Those guys always lived in his home-office and were his responsibility though.  That might be why they never lived that long. Smiley LOL Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

Nope.  Only had cats but after the present one. That's IT.

Honored Contributor

Pretty much anything you can think of including horses and a squirrel monkey.

Squirrel monkey

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Other than cats we had a chinchilla for many years.  He was actually my sons and when he went off to college he became ours, of course.  He was the cutest little guy, not real sociable, but a little bit.  He lived for 11 years.  Wouldn't have been my choice for a pet but I was heartbroken when he peacefully passed away in his little house.

Honored Contributor

I've had gerbils, turtles, fish and a tarantula.