Honored Contributor

Thought I'd check in.  I've been reading all the posts and appreciate all the replies.

My husband is still in the hospital. Visitors have been allowed in this hospital since last Friday.  Only one visitor can come and that visitor has to be the same visitor for the duration. No switching out.  You are not allowed to leave the room except to walk directly to the elevator to leave.  The cafeteria is off limits. Staff only. Of course, you wear a mask the whole time you're there. It's very nerve wracking but I'm grateful to be there. 

My husband has a previously undiagnosed issue with his prostate, made worse by a reaction to a new medication he started a few days before our ER trip.  At the ER last Tuesday, they put in a catheter and sent us home with instructions to follow up with a urologist.  We went home and I immediately called the urologist.  I was on the phone 5 minutes.  During that time, my husband, Who was very agitated and confused, made worse by the new medication,  "apparently" (but we don't know for sure) tried to remove the catheter in our master bathroom.  It caused pretty substantial bleeding.  We went back to the ER immediately and they admitted him and he's still there. He is still bleeding into the catheter. Still.

They have done ct scans and a PSA test.  He may....or may not....have prostate cancer. Only a biopsy would give a definite answer on that. For reasons that absolutely defy my reason of logic, Urology only does prostate procedures outpatient, NO exceptions.  I have gone round and round with them. I am no shrinking violet when it comes to this stuff, but they aren't budging. 

Their plan, as of last night when I left, is to discharge him tomorrow to rehab, whether he's still bleeding or not.  Then I will need to make an appt. with a urologist and do medical transports back and forth for the appts.  I am absolutely beside myself.  They're going to release him, while he's still bleeding.  I've been told that that's standard procedure, really no big deal. Well it is a big deal to me.   

They are going to check his hemoglobin again this morning.  It has been dropping steadily because of the bleeding and he might require a transfusion today.  But still the plan is to release him. 

I plan to get there a little after 11 this morning so I can stop somewhere  and get some lunch for myself to take with me. 

I have 1 choice of rehab center, though they have asked me for 4 choices. As of last week, they had openings.  I hope that will be the case tomorrow. If not, I have no idea what I'm going to do. 

My plan today is to also talk to the hospital administrator and tell him/her that I think he's being released too soon. That is the right we have with Medicare. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

Praying for you both.  I cannot imagine how incredibly difficult this is for you and Mr. gidget. 

Why on earth he has to be discharged just boggles my mind.  Praying for wisdom on the hospital's part.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Re: Personal news

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh  I am so sorry. Please do talk to the hospital administrator and find the patient advocate as soon as you can. Heart

Super Contributor

I'm wishing you and your hubby the very best.  Hope he recovers soon.  ❤️

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.  I don't know why Part B only covers a biopsy on an outpatient basis.  It's so unsetting for the patient and the family. 

Thank you for the update Heart

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh, this is terrible for you, but I am so glad you can be there to advocate for your husband.

In addition to the hospital administrator, you might consider contacting the admin of the rehab facility he's supposed to be sent to and describing what is going on. Rehab places, from what I remember when dealing with one on behalf of a parent, are fussy about the condition of the patient. They should be told that the hospital has been unable to bring the bleeding under control, that your husband may (or will) have a transfusion because of it,  and that he would be released to the facility against your wishes, if that is true. 

I have to think there is someone else you can contact. Can you have him moved to another hospital? I wonder where the PCP is in all this.

Still praying for both of you.

Honored Contributor

Re: Personal news

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh , My husband battled prostate cancer for 14 yrs, he had  to wear a bag on him,his kidneys failed him ,at one point ,no removing prostate due to it having   spread, but he found a doctor at Beth Israel hospital in Boston,i tell you this doctor kept him going for many years, DR. bubley,is his name.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh 

I believe @noodleann  had a valuable comment.  No facility wants patients in and out right now (I believe) because that opens doors for contamination.   My only comment is as someone already stated, hospitals have advocates or social service people that are supposed to help in securing next step. I remember when DM had stroke and hospital gave me day or two to take home.  Holiday time.  Advocate then agreed rehab in order and helped.  

What's crazy about this is hospitals crying about lack of income from usual cases.  Here is example of situation where they could help if they called insurance.  

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@gidgetgh, this is terrible for you, but I am so glad you can be there to advocate for your husband.

In addition to the hospital administrator, you might consider contacting the admin of the rehab facility he's supposed to be sent to and describing what is going on. Rehab places, from what I remember when dealing with one on behalf of a parent, are fussy about the condition of the patient. They should be told that the hospital has been unable to bring the bleeding under control, that your husband may (or will) have a transfusion because of it,  and that he would be released to the facility against your wishes, if that is true. 

I have to think there is someone else you can contact. Can you have him moved to another hospital? I wonder where the PCP is in all this.

Still praying for both of you.

@noodleann the PCP isn't involved at all.  That's not the way it works where I live.  You deal with the hospitalist and hospital doctors. Fortunately, his neurologist has a private practice and is also the hospital neurologist. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@gidgetgh I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.  I don't know why Part B only covers a biopsy on an outpatient basis.  It's so unsetting for the patient and the family. 

Thank you for the update Heart

@Bri369 - is that what it is?  Medicare part B won't cover inpatient biopsies?