Honored Contributor

Re: Person who smeared peanut butter on a colleague's desk

straykatz wrote:

What is wrong with a person who thinks putting a person's life at risk is sweet revenge or justice or payback or retaliation or whatever we want to call it?  The perosn who did this is a sick individual and needs mental help or locked up!  

Yeah, really!

If she was being a pain in everybody's butt (I haven't seen evidence of that, but some here have said they assume it), fine.  That's one thing.  But  I'm pretty sure that the punishment for being a pain is not death.

It seems to me that it was a profoundly childish and cruel stunt.  To put somebody's life at risk is beyond cute or funny, or even at all acceptable.

I don't get why some will respond to somebody having a possibly deathly allergy by just telling them they have no right to be anywhere.  It wouldn't be that much of an inconvenience for the others to not bring peanuts or peanut type foods to the workplace.   How selfish could somebody be to just say 'tough noogies, I don't care if it kills you, I'm bring my peanut butter'.   That just seems awful to me.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Oh, please people.  Get real.  There are no peanut fumes.  Well maybe, if the peanuts are in a bag but that just means the grown axx adults with peanut allergies should keep their heads out of strange bags...lol  

You have no clue.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

My oldest daughter has a severe peanut allergy as well, she's been hospitalised three times in as many years from ingesting peanut products unknowingly. One instance she was invited to dinner and had soup as the first course that had peanuts in it. She was hospitalised for a day and a half.

She takes her lunch to work, doesn't require any special restrictions but doesn't share food at work because of her allergy. She also doesn't make it a big deal so as not to hurt anyon'es feelings when offered food items.

Because she is an adult and as such she opted to take control of her own health situation.  She didn't expect that the entire company she works for would refrain from eating Reese's peanut butter cups.  

@chrystaltree

I'm not sure how to take your last sentence, why do you assume that the victim in the original story did this? 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Frequent Contributor

I'm angered at anyone who purposely does something that could cause ill health or death.

The reason is because my youngest grew up allergic cashews. When she went to college, she learned to keep an eye out for cashews. 

She was working in an office, the friendly kind. She did not wear a sign around her neck (LOL) just put a notation in her file. They had an office party, the reaction was immediate. She was taken by ambulance and she recovered. The end of this story is it was a box of store bought cookies. This was unintended, but she reads the ingredients ever since.

"God created memories so that we might have roses in December." - Italo Svevo
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

My oldest daughter has a severe peanut allergy as well, she's been hospitalised three times in as many years from ingesting peanut products unknowingly. One instance she was invited to dinner and had soup as the first course that had peanuts in it. She was hospitalised for a day and a half.

She takes her lunch to work, doesn't require any special restrictions but doesn't share food at work because of her allergy. She also doesn't make it a big deal so as not to hurt anyon'es feelings when offered food items.

Because she is an adult and as such she opted to take control of her own health situation.  She didn't expect that the entire company she works for would refrain from eating Reese's peanut butter cups.  

@chrystaltree

I'm not sure how to take your last sentence, why do you assume that the victim in the original story did this? 

I wasn't talking about the victim in the story.  This thread veered away from the orginial story a long time ago.  And that was not about a peanut allergy, that was an assault.  It's just that peanut butter was the weapon.   I was referring to the woman's daughter who obviously doesn't expect the world to cater to her allergy.  It's not her empployer's job to keep her safe (except for the cafeteria), it's her job.  It's easy for an adult with any food allergy.  Bring your own food and never eat anything that you didn't prepare.

Honored Contributor

I'm all for someone taking charge of their own health.  I was one who thought the whole different color pumpkins for trick or treating candy was ridiculous. 

People have to work.  I think it's extremely unfair to think people should just have to stay home because of certain disabilities when a few accomodations could be made for them.  To deliberately smear someone's desk with PB knowing the person has an allergy is one of the most inconsiderate, juvenile, ignorant and petty things a grown adult in a working environment can do.

IMO that person should be fired.        

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@chrystaltree

I wasn't talking about the victim in the story.  This thread veered away from the orginial story a long time ago.  And that was not about a peanut allergy, that was an assault.  It's just that peanut butter was the weapon.   I was referring to the woman's daughter who obviously doesn't expect the world to cater to her allergy.  It's not her empployer's job to keep her safe (except for the cafeteria), it's her job.  It's easy for an adult with any food allergy.  Bring your own food and never eat anything that you didn't prepare.

@chrystaltree

Actually, it is the employer's job according to the ADA and their guidelines (Federal Law).

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@chrystaltree

@chrystaltree

Actually, it is the employer's job according to the ADA and their guidelines (Federal Law).

Only in terms of food the employer sells or offers to employees.  That's why cafeterias are peanut free and it's why they specifically ask every person if they have any food allergies and it's why they have list ingredients.  But ADA does NOT require that an employer ban employees for packing any food in their own lunches or dinners.  That would be ludicrous and totally unenforceable.  Perhaps you are not aware but there are hundreds of food allergies.  It's not just nuts and peanuts.  There's citrus and strawberries and bananas and milk and whatever, if we eat it, someone is allergic to it.  Obviously the ADA does not require that an employer ban employees from eating...lol  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@chrystaltree

@chrystaltree

Only in terms of food the employer sells or offers to employees.  That's why cafeterias are peanut free and it's why they specifically ask every person if they have any food allergies and it's why they have list ingredients.  But ADA does NOT require that an employer ban employees for packing any food in their own lunches or dinners.  That would be ludicrous and totally unenforceable.  Perhaps you are not aware but there are hundreds of food allergies.  It's not just nuts and peanuts.  There's citrus and strawberries and bananas and milk and whatever, if we eat it, someone is allergic to it.  Obviously the ADA does not require that an employer ban employees from eating...lol  

@chrystaltree

Oh, I'm aware all right.  And no one said the employer could ban anyone from eating, but not only could he ban peanuts near her and where she eats, but he did the right thing in firing the culprit.  To ignore the crime would also be a crime.

The list goes on of things an employer must do, including keeping doors wide enough for a wheelchair and providing ergonomic keyboards, chairs, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@chrystaltree

@chrystaltree

@chrystaltree

Oh, I'm aware all right.  And no one said the employer could ban anyone from eating, but not only could he ban peanuts near her and where she eats, but he did the right thing in firing the culprit.  To ignore the crime would also be a crime.

The list goes on of things an employer must do, including keeping doors wide enough for a wheelchair and providing ergonomic keyboards, chairs, etc.

Allergies are totaly different from food physical disabilities.  Trust me, I've been a manager for 20 years and I dealt with it all.  No, the ADA does not and could not demand that an employer keep peanuts eaters away from someone with an allergy to them.  Here's how it really works.   A person who has an allergy would be required to report it and submit medical documentation to Occupational Health.  And if was deemed that the person could reasonable expect to come into contact with that particular substance or food, then the employer would be required to establish a safe environment for that person.  Meaning that the person with the allergy would be separated from other employees who present a risk.  Not that the other 200 people working there would be told they can't eat oranges or peanuts or bananas at work.  I had this very same issue with an employee who claimed to be allergic to scented products.  Our company set up a room with special ventilation for her and another person who claimed to be allergic too.  They posted signs in all the common areas like the bathrooms and photocopy room and elevators, banning the use of scented products.  Of course, we could not enforce that.  But we were in comliance by doing what we did.