Esteemed Contributor

Re: Perseids meteor shower tonight!

I am planning to stay up for it, even though the map doesn't make it look promising for viewing in Delaware.  We have no lights around us, so maybe we will see some of it.  I remember sitting on my grandmother's front porch and watch meteor showers and they are truly mesmerizing.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

sxmgirl wrote, in part: "...meteor showers ...are truly mesmerizing."

Another year, after the dazzler of a shower we had seen, DH and I returned to "our" spot.  The meteors weren't as spectacular, but we were gifted instead with a great view of the Milky Way.  That's the only time I've ever seen it, and it was, as you said, "truly mesmerizing."

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

I'm bummed.  It's been clear, sunny and hot (no rain) since early May.  This week it's been cloudy with rain storms off and on every day.  Waaaaahh!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

At 1:00 AM it was a little hazy in my Good viewing area.  As stated above, the Milky Way was excellent.  We saw 3 or 4 with amazing long tails in about 30 min.  

Then the mosquitoes hit.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I live out in the middle of nowhere with no lights to interfere with the beautiful night sky and stars but I didn't see a thing. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

The skies cleared Thursday/Friday night for about an hour, between 1:30-2:30 AM.  DH and I sat on the deck and saw 8-10 meteors, two with nice tails.  The clouds moved in, so we were back inside by 2:30.

It is heavily overcast tonight (Friday/Saturday), so there isn't much chance for viewing.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.