Trusted Contributor

I also take Biotin. I do it under my doctor's care with my doctor's knowledge.

My hair started thinning enough where I talked to him about it. He also checked my thyroid and other blood levels and things checked out o.k.

He said to go ahead and take the Biotin, and that any amount of B vitamin that our body doesn't need will just pass through when we use the bathroom, as the B vitamins are water-soluable. 

I take regular Biotin without any other additions to it, and I take the highest daily dose that you can take of 10,000 mcg. I worked my way up to that over time.

Honored Contributor

I took biotin for many years thinking it would help my thinning hair. But all it did was make my hair coarse and wiry so I stopped taking it. Instead I take bamboo silica and that has made my hair very healthy, with very little hair fall or thinning. My hair is so shiny and silky soft, too.

Trusted Contributor
I have had the same problem. I took biotin butIt did not help, and only made my hair grow faster. The only thing that is helped is taking stinging nettle leaf supplements. I read about them on the beauty forum last year. It has an effect on a hormone that causes hair loss. I can’t remember exactly, you can look it up. But it’s the only thing that has helped and caused new hair growth.
I am brunette like you, and fair skin and so I think The hair loss is more noticeable. I will say though, that it took a while to work. It was not immediate, it took a few months. Good luck to you
Honored Contributor

I had the same problem. And I know what you mean about losing your 'crowning glory' and wanting it back. It really hurts the pride.

I tried a bunch of things and found two things actually worked and were sustainable long term for me. I take a hair skin and nails biotin formula daily and use a caffeine shampoo. Both of these things together, and my hair is thicker than it ever was before. Kind of a miracle to find solutions that actually work.

The brands I use from Amazon at the moment are: HSN-23 by Lean Neutraceuticals and  Kundal Anti-Hair Loss Caffeine shampoo. Kundal has some nice scents which makes me look forward to using it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@ajsidney12 

I know others have mentioned this...but are you SURE he did a FULL thyroid panel?

I had terrible symptoms including losing a LOT of hair and my doc ran T3 & T4 as part of my blood work.  It showed just slightly off.

Biotin gave me strong nails but did nothing for my hair loss.

When I spoke with my other Doc she read my chart and saw I was not getting the correct and full tests needed.  She ran a FULL THYROID PANEL

The Thyroid #4 Comprehensive Blood Test Panel includes a Thyroid Profile with TSH, Tri-iodothyronine (T3) Free Serum, Thyroxine (T4) Free Direct Serum, Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Antibodies, Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Antibody (TAA) plus Reverse T3, Thyroxine-binding Globulin (TBG), Thyroid-stimulating Immunoglobulin (TSI )

MOST docs are NOT running this full panel.  Took 6 vials of blood.

The antibody test showed I had Hashimoto.  Normal antibody count 9 and under.  Mine were 378.  The antibodies are attacking my thyroid so it is barely working, thus the hair loss.

Since being properly treated, I shed a normal amount of hair now.

Good luck...I know it is awful.

In the meantime, may I suggest products to help hide the scalp such as:

A346603, Joan Rivers Good Hair Day two pk (also sold single)

Calista Root Touch up  a398273

Both these products run dark, IMHO.  In JR, I use blonde and I am a dark brunette.

Calista I use med brown.

There is also Toppik, Q doesn't carry it anymore.

All of these products are excellent at toning down the white scalp and blending so that our bright white bald spots do not show.

They will disguise minimally grey hairs too...but will NOT replace a good dye job.

Since you do not color, you may find these products helpful to give you back the confidence you are losing as your hair sheds.  Tricks the eye not to see sparse areas in your hair.

Sorry if you already know about these, but I wanted to be sure you were aware.

If your hair loss is not due to thyroid issues, the products may prove helpful.  I keep them at home and at work!  LOL

Best of luck to you.

Honored Contributor

@Steffdoggy10 wrote:
I have had the same problem. I took biotin butIt did not help, and only made my hair grow faster. The only thing that is helped is taking stinging nettle leaf supplements. I read about them on the beauty forum last year. It has an effect on a hormone that causes hair loss. I can’t remember exactly, you can look it up. But it’s the only thing that has helped and caused new hair growth.
I am brunette like you, and fair skin and so I think The hair loss is more noticeable. I will say though, that it took a while to work. It was not immediate, it took a few months. Good luck to you

@Steffdoggy10 

Thank you mentioning nettles. That's one thing I've never tried so after reading your post I looked it up and now I'm going to try it. Thanks again.

Valued Contributor

Thank you to everyone for your supportive comments and insight. I think it important to share our experieneces as women, even the ones that are not as much fun as makeup recommendations or clothing discussions.  I will look into the full thyroid panel  as some mentioned. This year and half has been trying on each of us and I am sure that stress is not helping matters any either. I am excited to look into the options and possibilities out there you have recommended, and again thank you for taking the time out of each of your days to reach out!

Regular Contributor

@SilleeMee - I was wondering if you have purchased BulkSupplements Bamboo Extract from Amazon lately?  The last time I order the color was tan not white.  Thanks 

Esteemed Contributor

@ajsidney12 wrote:

So, earlier this year I got the word and was diagnosed with being perimenopausal. I am actually fine with this (or was) and welcome(d) it, however in the last couple months my hair has been falling out.  My hair is usually naturally wavy/curly and medium to thick density and not colored. I can see my scalp now so much hair has been lost in the last three months and it is becoming more "fine" and going white quickly. Probably I notice the color change because I am a brunette.

My doc did a full lab workup and the only thing a little off was the iron after which she put me on an iron supplement. No alopecia, etc.  I have only been taking the iron for about a couple months now, and I also take Andrew L Hair and Nail formula.  I am wondering short of going to Minoxidil, which the doc said I could in a few months after seeing if the iron helps, what else have you used for products to help this condition?.  

I had been using Aveda hair thickening and the scalp conditining mask for a few weeks, but it seemed to me to make the issue worse so I stopped. I never blow dry my hair or flatiron it. Rarely use hairspray or non coated elastics (I am a Scrunchie girl, lol). I have cut my hair back to above my shoulders, during the pandemic it was the middle of the waist and I thought taking the weight off of it would help.  
I am just very sad about the problem and hoping someone else has been through this and will let me know what they went through, and that there is a light at the end of all this. I can take all the nights sweats and restless sleep, but my hair has always been my best physical feature and everyone from stylists to random people have commented on it in positive ways and more importantly I really loved it too, even the curls (!) which so many women seem to straighten. Thanks for the support.

@ajsidney12 

If you take other medications on a regular basis, please ask your physician before you begin a vitamin/supplement regimen. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@Ms Nixie wrote:

@SilleeMee - I was wondering if you have purchased BulkSupplements Bamboo Extract from Amazon lately?  The last time I order the color was tan not white.  Thanks 

@Ms Nixie 

Yes I have. The last bag had tan-colored product in it. I emailed them to ask about that. They told me the color varies depending on the source and that it doesn't affect the quality.