Honored Contributor

Re: People with cell phones out at Grocery stores

[ Edited ]

I have a rule that however a business treats their employees is the way they will eventually treat their customers. With Walmart, that has proven to be very true.

They nickle and dime and disregard their employees and treat them as cogs in a machine, completely replaceable and expendable...and they do the exact same thing to their customers. It always trickles down.

Edited to add: To be fair, grocery stores in general have a terrible reputation for treating their workers poorly. The good ones are gems and deserve to be supported!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain I agree 100 percent. An opposite example is Costco- they treat their employees well and that trickles down to their customers.

A few days ago I had to call the Costco customer service number about something I bought online. The representative I spoke to was fabulous. He started out by saying "my name is...and who do I have the pleasure of speaking with today". I almost fell over from the kindness and efficiency.

That's why shopping with Costco is great, in my experiences with them they always make things right and fair for their customers.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Super Contributor

Well.....I learned something today reading this post.  It never occurred to me that while shopping at a grocery store I would have to verify prices that are posted vs. what rings up at the register.  To be honest, I compare prices of items on the shelf, make my selection, and put it into my cart and check out.  Who would have thought?

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't have have strength to nickel and dime my way through life so I can save $2.62 on my order.  I won't live like that.  Honestly if I was struggling financially to that extent, I'd take a job at Walmart to make some extra money.  

You know just because you think something true for yourself doesn't mean it needs to be shared. Especially if it might hurt someone's feelings.🙁😳

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 , very well said; however, IMO, I think she either doesn't "get it" or just doesn't care.  I have seen numerous snarky posts from her for a long time.  

She kind of reminds me of the poster who used to post here with the "HH" nic.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

I agree.  I hate that those price check scanners are gone too.  I used those frequently and just hate to have to track down an employee for help.  I am not doing their app on my phone either.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Isn't there a Consumer Protection Agency that investigates this sort of thing? I know they fined a business that advertised an appliance for a low price, but when customers arrived at the store, they were told that appliance had sold out and tried to sell them a more expensive one. Another store advertised a sale, but the items had never been sold at the non-sale price. Both practices are illegal.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree  I'm happy for you that money is no issue.  I'm grateful that we can buy food, pay for gas, and housing costs.  Many are not so lucky.  There are so many seniors who worked hard everyday and no longer can make it on their retirement.  There are many disabled people that can't make ends meet by no fault of their own.  They can't work.  Maybe you should walk a mile in their shoes or even a block.  Maybe you would have a little compassion or do what we do and donate to our local food bank. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m not in Walmart very often so I haven’t seen issues with pricing.  At the grocery I do ask if something was rung up at the sale price or if my rewards went through.  There is one store in particular where l am learning to check the receipt before leaving.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't have have strength to nickel and dime my way through life so I can save $2.62 on my order.  I won't live like that.  Honestly if I was struggling financially to that extent, I'd take a job at Walmart to make some extra money.  

Shoekitty

that is just mean and cruel. Some people need or want to save the money.  And some it is also principal.  Because you don't care, that doesn't mean others won't..