Esteemed Contributor

Re: People with cell phones out at Grocery stores

@MaverDaver wrote:

Not so many years ago I shopped Pathmark (in NJ) which has since moved out. Anyhow they had a policy if you found an item advertised that had the wrong price you got it for free (limit 4 per item). I took full advantage of that perk. 

@MaverDaver  oh how i remember Pathmark. Those were the days.

Esteemed Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I have been reading of these price issues with Walmart but as of yet, knock wood, I have not had the issues of prices on the shelf not matching the price when I ring out.  I have been keeping a close eye out too since many posters have complained about this.

I am at my little Walmart a couple of times a week.  My prices are just the same on my receipts as they are on the shelf or display.

@4kitties  Customers in my area of the two Walmarts are wondering if it's because of the brand new registers they installed.

Are your registers the same as before?

Esteemed Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I use the scan and go option at my grocery. I scan my items with my phone and place them in my reusable bags as I shop. Most of my shopping trips involve someone ( it’s generally a man who appears to be old enough for Medicare) who thinks they need to lecture me about using my phone in the store.

@RollTide2008  I wish my store had the scan and go option. It would certainly save me time and probably keep me from impulse buying. 

Trusted Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

@gidgetgh  No, at least it isn't for me. The main problem with price gouging...oops...ringing up the wrong price....happens to be Publix in our area followed by Target. Walmart hasn't proven to be an issue as of yet. 

"Our Publix Promise guarantees that if during checkout, the scanned price of an item (excluding alcohol and tobacco products) exceeds the shelf price or advertised price, we will give the customer one of that item free. We will charge the lower price for the remaining items."

This has been a Publix policy as long as there has been a Publix!

@Zhills  That fact remains that they are the ones in our area being reported as consistently over-charging. OF COURSE they should refund the customer and make it right but they SHOULD NOT be doing it in the first place. That's the point of the thread/post.

Also, they have NOT been giving one of those items for free especially when we're talking about expensive meat (where the tend to overcharge the most often).  Not in my area, not in my local Publix. I'll post this on our community FB page so people can make sure they receive what they are entitled to.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 

@Sage04 wrote:

@4kitties wrote:

I have been reading of these price issues with Walmart but as of yet, knock wood, I have not had the issues of prices on the shelf not matching the price when I ring out.  I have been keeping a close eye out too since many posters have complained about this.

I am at my little Walmart a couple of times a week.  My prices are just the same on my receipts as they are on the shelf or display.

@4kitties  Customers in my area of the two Walmarts are wondering if it's because of the brand new registers they installed.

Are your registers the same as before?

They are the same, old.

Respected Contributor

@Sage04 

My store did get two new, larger self checking areas, so there are new registers.  I buy many of the same items and I can remember most of my prices.  I usually check myself out as my favorite checkers work these areas and I can bag my items so that they are very easy to unpack and put away when I get home.

No issues so far, sure hope it stays that way!🤞🤞🤞

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

MY biggest gripe with Walmart is that they have removed all price scanners from the stores.  In order to verify a price now, I have track down an employee and make them scan the price on their phones.

Of course, they are programmed to say that I just need to download the Walmart App and then I can check my own prices any time I need to do so.

So ... let me get this straight, I say to them  ..... it's now up to the CUSTOMERS to provide equipment to check prices?  Seriously?   

Can anyone see a Class Action Lawsuit over this?  Am I over reacting?  

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I mean this sincerely.  Is this a problem that seems to be primarily a Walmart issue?  Because, when I read these threads, it seems to be overwhelmingly happening at Walmart.  

I think if that's the case, and I had other choices, I'd shop somewhere else. It shouldn't create this much angst and hoopla and conferences with employees and visits to customer service just to grocery shop.

I shop at Publix.  Not that that means anything great or superior at all, that just happens to be where I go, but I don't run into issues there.  Granted, I don't stand in front of each item and calculate and there isn't an app or whatever to scan the groceries so that you see discrepancies in real time, but grocery shopping doesn't seem to be so intense as it for many of you who keep bringing up Walmart.

I may stop in Walmart once a year or so, if I'm looking for something specific, and based on the threads I see here, I think I'll keep it that way.

I am really sorry that many of you seem to run into such pricing issues and, in some cases, repeatedly.  I wouldn't want to have to go through that and I am sorry that you do.

@gidgetgh 

No, definitely NOT just Walmart.   What frosts me is when I have taken the time .... over an hour a week ....  and "loaded" digital coupons on my various rewards cards for various grocery stores and the sale price isn't rung up ... it's the full price.  

Of course, then I don't notice it until I get home ... and the question becomes do I take my receipt with me the next time I go there, and make the CS person refund me 40 cents for an overcharge?

A long time cashier at a major chain recently told me that often up to 50% of the "loaded" sale prices never kick in.

What the heck ........  and WHAT are we supposed to do??????

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I have been a victim at Walmart as well specifically with a yoga mat that was $3 more at checkout. I stopped shopping there for different reasons but I was one of those people who scanned with the Walmart app on my phone to make sure what I was buying was within my budget or if I wanted to wait for Amazon to deliver it cheaper. 

Seriously, a 'victim' at Walmart???

I don't play the 'victim' card.

You are only a victim if you let them overcharge you.

Honored Contributor

When the stores changed to shelf pricing rather than putting the price on each item, it saved them money but created confusion for shoppers. Shelf labels get moved, I've seen children do it, and sometimes it's unclear what product it references. I want to know the price before I get to checkout. Sometimes, I willing to pay the price, no matter how disappointing it is like for coffee, cat food...Other times, the price does matter, like a new item I'm interested in trying or produce, like peaches and melons, that may be good or may be headed for landfill. I don't care to pay more then required, even if it's just a quarter, because it's my quarter.