Esteemed Contributor

People with cell phones out at Grocery stores

I was at Walmart yesterday and their food prices have soared.

People up and down aisles including myself, had cell phones out entering prices of items they were putting in carts.

I have been doing this since when you get to the reg. the shelf price doesn't reg. with the price the clerk is ringing up. 

Not the clerks fault, but the reg. in most cases has not been changed. Raley's here in CA. is well known for it.

Well yesterday, the shelf price was not the same. I called over a clerk that was so helpful.  She checked the item for me on her device and the shelf price said 2.48, but the device said 3.84.  She was so patient, and checked some of my cart items and they were higher than the shelf price.

She told me this happened to her mother and her mother argued that they have to give you the price they advertised, but the store said no. I though they had to honor it.

She went to the mgr. and got me the shelve price and they said, they have hired new people that are not pricing the selves correctly.  Also were Walmart was less expensive, she said that store has changed management and owners.

So with the stress of shopping, now the stress of wrong prices.

I use to have this problem at Raley's, now Walmart.

No problem at Trader Joe's and so far, they have gone up in prices like all, but still cheaper for me there because being alone, I can buy there.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: People with cell phones out at Grocery stores

[ Edited ]

I was under the impression that they had to give you the price that was advertised as well.

I have not noticed that problem at WalMart, but the Target in my area has to be watched like a hawk. They do not even go and check when I catch something they just change it to what I said the price was. 

Honored Contributor

I don't have have strength to nickel and dime my way through life so I can save $2.62 on my order.  I won't live like that.  Honestly if I was struggling financially to that extent, I'd take a job at Walmart to make some extra money.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't have have strength to nickel and dime my way through life so I can save $2.62 on my order.  I won't live like that.  Honestly if I was struggling financially to that extent, I'd take a job at Walmart to make some extra money.  

What's disturbing is that you don't have the strength.  I'd get that checked out.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I was under the impression that they had to give you the price that was advertised as well.

I have not noticed that problem at WalMart, but the Target in my area has to be watched like a hawk. They do not even go and check when I catch something that just change it to what I said the price was. 

I've had that happen at Target too, but I don't shop there for groceries.  Customer service just takes your word for it and hands you the difference. Easy-peasy but it feels odd.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Good for you.....

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree  I don't have the patience for it!!!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

That's a pretty un-necessary comment to the OP.  I don't consider myself "struggling financially" but I still keep an eye on prices at checkout.  

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree 

I find your comment insulting to myself and others on this thread.

Not struggling financially. I just don't give my money away. I pay attention to prices. I am a Buyer by trade, so I am sure that weighs in on my decision, and how much energy is exerted to correct wrong pricing?

But you do you....

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree 

Many do not have the same option as you. Could it be that many of those that don't, also don't have the strength, but do it out of necessity? 

I was raised by a mother, along with my 3 older sisters, working unbelievable hours to do so. She did not have the option of raising us, and at the same time, think nothing of $2.62.

If her weekly check exceeded $23, we lost our apartment in Public Housing Projects. That $2.62 was over 10% of what she was allowed to earn in a week.

Different era's, but the principle is exactly the same.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)