Honored Contributor

Re: People with Type A blood face heightened risk of infection. ....

My mom was A- and dad was B-.  Both my sister and I are the rare AB-.  Want my autograph?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe slightly more important regarding blood: If you can, it would be very charitable to donate now. The bank is getting very low.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I know all about the 'science' about blood,etc.

My niece is an actual phlebotomist in a hospital.

She lived with us while she was becoming an RN.

I learned more things about blood than I ever cared to.  As I've gotten old(er) I don't remember much...and would rather clog my brain with info about my soaps...quite frankly.

Just be sure to remember to wash your hands with them.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

HA! Well 3 stikes against me now if it's proved fact. I'm 54 with A+ blood, and I have mild COPD. 

Esteemed Contributor

I am Type A and I was told that it was the most common blood type.  Doesn't that mess up their statistics? The most common type.  Actually so is my hubby and my four daughters and my grandchildren and just about everyone else I know that I have asked.  

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

A- here.....I am not sure about these blood type studies.  Sometimes I just wonder if the population over all has a higher amount of Type A and that is why more got it or had worse symptoms.  

I am hoping for the best either way!  Not feeling "right" this morning....so I am just hanging out at home (yesterday I was home also).  I know regular flu and colds are rampant right now also...either way just staying home.

No, the most widely distributed blood type, worldwide, is Type O. Type A is most widely distributed among most Europeans.

There are 4 main blood groups: A, B, AB and O, of which group O is the most common. In the United States, the average distribution of blood types is as follows:

• O-positive: 38 percent
  • O-negative: 7 percent
  • A-positive: 34 percent
  • A-negative: 6 percent
  • B-positive: 9 percent
  • B-negative: 2 percent
  • AB-positive: 3 percent
  • AB-negative
    • percent

Different racial and ethnic groups typically see a different distribution.

Intersting!  Both DH and I are type Os so our kids are Os too.  I sent them the link to the study.

Respected Contributor

@Westshopper wrote:

HA! Well 3 stikes against me now if it's proved fact. I'm 54 with A+ blood, and I have mild COPD. 

Actually, when you turn 55 you enter a lower-risk group than the 45-54 you're now in. You need to be 65 or older to enter the higher-risk group. Hope you have a birthday coming up.

CDC info about age-related risks:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications/older-adults.html

The blood story is not vetted to the satisfaction of some here, including me.

The COPD is definitely a risk factor for a more serious course of disease if you're infected. Here's the CDC's list:

Appendix A: Underlying medical conditions that may increase the risk of serious COVID-19 for individuals
of any age.
• Blood disorders (e.g., sickle cell disease or on blood thinners)
• Chronic kidney disease as defined by your doctor. Patient has been told to avoid or reduce the dose of medications because
kidney disease, or is under treatment for kidney disease, including receiving dialysis
• Chronic liver disease as defined by your doctor. (e.g., cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis) Patient has been told to avoid or reduce the
dose of medications because liver disease or is under treatment for liver disease.
• Compromised immune system (immunosuppression) (e.g., seeing a doctor for cancer and treatment such as chemotherapy
or radiation, received an organ or bone marrow transplant, taking high doses of corticosteroids or other immunosuppressant
medications, HIV or AIDS)
• Current or recent pregnancy in the last two weeks
• Endocrine disorders (e.g., diabetes mellitus)
• Metabolic disorders (such as inherited metabolic disorders and mitochondrial disorders)
• Heart disease (such as congenital heart disease, congestive heart failure and coronary artery disease)
• Lung disease including asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (chronic bronchitis or emphysema) or other chronic
conditions associated with impaired lung function or that require home oxygen
• Neurological and neurologic and neurodevelopment conditions [including disorders of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral
nerve, and muscle such as cerebral palsy, epilepsy (seizure disorders), stroke, intellectual disability, moderate to severe
developmental delay, muscular dystrophy, or spinal cord injury].

It's dated the 12th, but until this blood thing, I hadn't heard of any new risk factors. The appendix with the list is at the end of the document. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/community-mitigation-strategy.pdf

I have only three risk factors, so I'm lucky.

Honored Contributor

I didn't know where to post this because of so many threads.

Our biochemist son sent this article to us:

https://www.sciencealert.com/who-recommends-to-avoid-taking-ibuprofen-for-covid-19-symptoms

Paracetamol is the European name for Tylenol or acetaminophen here.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

https://www.sciencealert.com/who-recommends-to-avoid-taking-ibuprofen-for-covid-19-symptoms

@JustJazzmom . What about plain old aspirin?

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@JustJazzmom . What about plain old aspirin?

@haddon9, I haven't heard any health expert recommend aspirin for anything in ages, with maybe the suggestion to take "baby" aspirins to help avoid heart attacks (but even that has been in doubt recently.)