Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Witchy Woman  Most buffets don't donate their left over food to a homeless shelter.  While it may be a nice thing to do, restaurants are in business to make money.  Unless they have someone willing to pack up the food & drive to the location it's probably not doing to happen...so the food could be wasted even from the left overs at the buffet bar in addition to peoples' plates.

I don't think that's even legal anymore.   Food safety is an issue.    My aunt and uncle had a pig farm years ago and used to get leftover pizza from a local pizza place.   Laws were changed that the food had to be sterilized first.   That was years ago. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Frequent Contributor

Re: People who overfill their plates....

I got a whole different perpective on wasting food when I traveled to Haiti the first time. Those people have absolutely nothing. The poorest person in our country would be considered wealthy down there. At the time I was traveling to Haiti with my friends, I worked at the local Welfare Office. We'd have a potluck dinner every month or so. There was enough food wasted at one luncheon to feed a Haitian village for a week. It's really sad how much food is wasted in our country each day.

Honored Contributor

One never knows what that person has been through.  Don't judge until you have walked in their shoes.   

I grew up in a very poor family.  Our parents struggled to feed us every day.  While we never went hungry, we often had very little.  We learned to take what we needed/wanted the first go-around or it'd be gone.  Mom or Dad would make us put some back if we took too much but we would try because we knew it was all we would get.  It's taken decades to get beyond that thinking.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband’s family owned a resort hotel that they started in the 1950s and ran for two decades. Food was cheap in those days and guests could order anything off the menu. There were some who ordered EVERYTHING, just to have a taste. I know that some of these people probably survived the Depression, but waste is waste and surviving the Depression doesn’t prevent knowing right from wrong.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

My husband’s family owned a resort hotel that they started in the 1950s and ran for two decades. Food was cheap in those days and guests could order anything off the menu. There were some who ordered EVERYTHING, just to have a taste. I know that some of these people probably survived the Depression, but waste is waste and surviving the Depression doesn’t prevent knowing right from wrong.

@VivianI agree and some posters are missing the point-it isn't about not having enough to eat growing up or having lived during the Depression-it's about piling on food and then throwing it away.

Certainly those who experienced poverty would be more aware of wasting food than the ones who are just gluttons, inconsiderate of others, and just plain ignorant. 

We've seen it before; the person who piles on the food only to leave most of it for the garbage.  It's a darn shame and has nothing to do with walking in their shoes.

I don't care where a person came from;  it's simply wrong to do this.  All because we have a society that encourages the "more is better" mentality.

It's one thing to take a sample and decide it's not for you; we all know the difference.

It's quite another to see somebody pile on a food item, take one bite, and toss the rest.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I have seen it too often as well. We, in my family have started having a children's table, for instance this past 4th of July, we always have a huge picnic at a Park, and we have tons of food and lots of people, usually 40-50 people..

So we had what we called a children's table, filled with Hot Dogs, chips, fruit, fruit salad, applesauce, hamburgers,macaroni and cheese, etc.....

Adults had pretty much the same with the exception of ribs, chicken, 7 layer salad, etc....

Not that the children couldn't have anything off of the adult table, but it helped kids not to waste things like ribs, chicken, etc...We do that at Holiday time too.. We have had too many people come to things like that and their kids waste more food than they eat....

So this helps cut back on kids wasting when they have a table of all the stuff they like.... 

Same with some adults, they pile their plates with food, and then don't even eat it all...We even had someone at the last picnic, ask if they could bring a plate home to pack for their lunch the next day.....lol!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

I haven't done a breakfast buffet in years, but the last time I went to one, the servers brought out a fresh tray of fried bacon.

People descended on it like vultures -- taking huge servings at a time.  I don't eat it, but was stunned to see the quantity grabbed at one time using tongs.  Quite a skill Cat Happy

It was an eye opener.

@Witchy Woman

This happened years ago, but I will never forget this....One day a week a popular Mexican restaurant would have an all you can eat buffet...The food was very good there. The food was served cafeteria style, you didnt serve yourself...  We were in line and it looked like 3 college age kids,perhaps football players were ahead of us....when the Server asked one of the guys how many cheese enchiladas he wanted, he said, I'll take the whole tray....She looked at him oddly and he repeated his request....she consulted with a Manager and he told her to go ahead and give him what he wanted....Can you imagine THE GALL!!!  Meanwhile other patrons had to wait on the cooks to make more.....  I think shortly after that is when they stopped the buffet day...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

I have seen it too often as well. We, in my family have started having a children's table, for instance this past 4th of July, we always have a huge picnic at a Park, and we have tons of food and lots of people, usually 40-50 people..

So we had what we called a children's table, filled with Hot Dogs, chips, fruit, fruit salad, applesauce, hamburgers,macaroni and cheese, etc.....

Adults had pretty much the same with the exception of ribs, chicken, 7 layer salad, etc....

Not that the children couldn't have anything off of the adult table, but it helped kids not to waste things like ribs, chicken, etc...We do that at Holiday time too.. We have had too many people come to things like that and their kids waste more food than they eat....

So this helps cut back on kids wasting when they have a table of all the stuff they like.... 

Same with some adults, they pile their plates with food, and then don't even eat it all...We even had someone at the last picnic, ask if they could bring a plate home to pack for their lunch the next day.....lol!

@CANDLEQUEEN, yes, because there's nothing more appealing than bacteria-laden food the next day. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Vivian wrote:

@VivianI agree and some posters are missing the point-it isn't about not having enough to eat growing up or having lived during the Depression-it's about piling on food and then throwing it away.

Certainly those who experienced poverty would be more aware of wasting food than the ones who are just gluttons, inconsiderate of others, and just plain ignorant. 

We've seen it before; the person who piles on the food only to leave most of it for the garbage.  It's a darn shame and has nothing to do with walking in their shoes.

I don't care where a person came from;  it's simply wrong to do this.  All because we have a society that encourages the "more is better" mentality.

It's one thing to take a sample and decide it's not for you; we all know the difference.

It's quite another to see somebody pile on a food item, take one bite, and toss the rest.

I don't think anyone missed the point.  Yes, wasting so much food is never a good thing. It's easy to say someone shouldn't do something.  But none of us knows what the other person has been through or what triggers them.  Judgmentalism is usually more damaging to people and certainly has a longer lasting impact.