Esteemed Contributor

Re: People who overfill their plates....

There will always be some people who are determined to get as much food as they can when it's an "all you can eat" buffet. That's just the way they are. It's an "I'm going to get my money's worth" mentality. The people who load up on as much as they can at a free buffet are probably the same way - it's free, so load up! It's just the way they are.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@NYC Susan  Your post is spot-on!  My MIL was a delightful women and sociially adept. However, we realized she was having problems when we visited her and she began taking the sugar packets from the little restaurant in her town! With humor (not laughing at her, but gentle humor) my husband asked her about it. She didn't know what he was talking about. When we took her out for the next meal, she again opened her purse. This time she had leftover steak from the night before inside her purse! She was horrified. Then, opened her purse and showed us! She thought it was very funny. We knew she was in the early stages of dementia and sought medical help. She never put food into her purse, but the sugar continued to be taken home whenever we took her out for a meal. Eventually, she admitted never having to buy sugar anymore!

She refused to move back to Nebraska; we placed her in an assisted living facility for her own safety after she had a car accident. When placing her in the AL, we realized she had gone through all her assets and only had Social Security left but was too proud to ask for help (and too secretive about her finances). Of course we helped her. She was a strong women who was determined to do it as best she could. Have to love them and give them a lot of credit.   

@BirkiLady  @NYC Susan  OH dear!  I'm well on my way.  I'll ask for some artificial sweetener with my tea at the Sonic if company is coming!  I "hoard" about 6 packs at all time, asking for more when someone comes to to the house and uses them up!!!!   OH my!  

I'll tell my husband to worry if it gets up to 8 or 10 packs!!!! 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I'm not fond of restaurant or wedding buffets and would never go to a pot luck dinner unless it was a family member gathering.

If I have no choice about the buffets I will only take what I like and know I will finish and go back if I want more.

I hate seeing plates of uneaten food being scraped into the garbage.

I will eat buffets, but avoid potlucks.

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I'm not fond of restaurant or wedding buffets and would never go to a pot luck dinner unless it was a family member gathering.

If I have no choice about the buffets I will only take what I like and know I will finish and go back if I want more.

I hate seeing plates of uneaten food being scraped into the garbage.

I will eat buffets, but avoid potlucks.

Me too.  I go to potlucks occasionally, and I contribute, but I'm very picky about what I eat there.  We used to have a lot of potlucks at one of my former jobs, and I knew for sure that at least one of my co-workers was preparing food in conditions that were not sanitary. 

I'm not a clean freak at all, but I knew what I knew (I'm not being more descriptive here on purpose!), and it pretty much ruined potlucks for me. 

Honored Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

Off topic again but...this thread reminded me of something funny that happened when my sons played football in high school. Across the street from the school was a small Chinese restaurant that had an all you can eat buffet. One day the team decided to eat there after school. Well the boys ate so much the place closed the buffet for the rest of the day! I guess when they said "all you can eat", they didn't realize how much teenage boys can actually put away!Smiley Happy

Shoekitty said

oh my!!  I hear you!  I have granson's 14,16,17 and 22.   I had 3 girls, and never in my life have I seen food consumed like my grandsons.  When I would take them to Taco Bell my bill was 47 bucks, and I got one grilled chicken soft taco!!!  I cannot imagine in my whole life taking those 4 boys to an all you can eat.  Let alone a footballt team. Lol

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I hope we don't move on to paper products as a topic of waste. . . 

Shoekitty said

@Sooner

Not the paper plates !!  Please, lets not talk about paper towels.  I have a separate recetical for those there are so many.  I order those simulinen giest towels by the case, and they arent for guests, lol! Bending head in shame😽

Trusted Contributor

Also guilty of avoiding potluck meals too. Gladly will contribute a dish to pass, though. 

⚓️
Respected Contributor

I always just take a small amount just in case I don't like it. Buffets aren't really getting my money's worth , mostly to many people to fight getting past. I like it maybe twice a year. But go early-bird special that's our best bet.

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

SMH!!!!!! Don't you ladies have anything else to do than watch how much food someone else takes? And on top of it, sit in judgement of those people??? MYOB!!!

Shoekitty said.

@reiki604  That is beyond rude. Why would you talk to so,eone like that? Geesh Permit Patty came to mind

So sorry if I hurt your feelings but expressisng a different opinion is not rude. It's those who live in judgement who are the 'permit patties' trying to control what others do or say. Sorry differing opinions affect you so strongly. Bless you!

Shoekitty said

didn't hurt my feelings, or I imagine anyone here.  Opinions are always are always appreciated by most everyone I know on these forums.  Your telling some to mind their own business, is not an opinion but a statement ...and an order.  Just sayin'

Just sayin............It IS my opinion just like yours. Your calling me out is ruder than any opinion I expressed

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

SMH!!!!!! Don't you ladies have anything else to do than watch how much food someone else takes? And on top of it, sit in judgement of those people??? MYOB!!!

Shoekitty said.

@reiki604  That is beyond rude. Why would you talk to so,eone like that? Geesh Permit Patty came to mind

So sorry if I hurt your feelings but expressisng a different opinion is not rude. It's those who live in judgement who are the 'permit patties' trying to control what others do or say. Sorry differing opinions affect you so strongly. Bless you!

I have a question:  If you accuse someone of "judging" aren't you de facto judging when you say that?  Seems like the perfect Catch 22 to me. 

Not going to get into a chicken or egg conundrum in order to argue simply for the sake of arguing. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown