Honored Contributor

Re: People who overfill their plates....

NO.BUFFETS.EVER!

In years past, I'd been to cheap buffets, and I'd been to luxurious high-end buffets. I hated them all.  I want to be served what I chose to eat. I don't like the frenzied atmosphere at most buffets.

Plus, I'm not a big eater these days. So the prospect of unlimited food is lost on me.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I have actually asked this question over the years to family/women i know. 

My SIL who was a large woman, always piled her plate high.

i asked her about it, and she replied that she thought people would look at her for going back for seconds. 

Me..... I like to take a small dab of several things, and then go back.  Nothing worse than having a heaping helping of something and it does not taste as good as it looks. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

NO.BUFFETS.EVER!

In years past, I'd been to cheap buffets, and I'd been to luxurious high-end buffets. I hated them all.  I want to be served what I chose to eat. I don't like the frenzied atmosphere at most buffets.

Plus, I'm not a big eater these days. So the prospect of unlimited food is lost on me.

Ha! Like you, I can't eat enough to make it worth my while, anyway.   But my biggest issue is that I'm WAY too food-neurotic to eat from buffets or potlucks anyway.   You don't even want to know the places stuff like that makes my brain go.   Smiley Very Happy

I would also have an issue with the waste of people taking way more food than they'll eat, and don't get me started on gluttony.  But I would also have to recognize that there is not one thing I can do about it so I would have a tendency to just zip it and MMOB.  Smiley Happy

I really do understand the issue the OP has, though, and she has every right to vent about it.   Many of us tend to always be aware of our surroundings so, to some extent, that would have us noticing things that people around us do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@hopi

I commented from the standpoint that I hate to see food wasted.

I'm not judging WHAT anyone eats.

But, I hate to see full plates of food sliding into the garbage.

No, I didn't pay for it, but I'm just commenting on the idea of wasted food.

My family always had enough to eat, but just barely.  That is why we were encouratged to not waste anything.

@Witchy Woman  Most buffets don't donate their left over food to a homeless shelter.  While it may be a nice thing to do, restaurants are in business to make money.  Unless they have someone willing to pack up the food & drive to the location it's probably not doing to happen...so the food could be wasted even from the left overs at the buffet bar in addition to peoples' plates.

I hate to see left over food on plates thrown into the garbage when there are people who did not get enough to eat because the people in front of them in line were pigs.I'm referring to parties or wedding type buffets.

Esteemed Contributor

Count me out on buffets and especially pot lucks. Have no idea what kind of kitchen the foods were prepared in, quality of foodstuffs used, or how long the dishes have been sitting out before being served. 

I do believe most buffets (for special holidays) at Country Clubs and upscale restaurants donate their left-overs to shelters or other community groups to serve those in need of a good meal.

Following my mom's memorial service we had a catered meal for 150. It was last summer and the weather was warm. Many people were not ready for a sit-down meal and simply ate salads and fresh rolls or desserts and coffee or iced tea. We had the left-overs taken to a nearby Recreational Center for the elderly and youth groups. (Many children and teens do not eat well during the summer months when the school lunch programs are not offered.)     

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Lots of reasons -  none particularly complimentary to those people!

Can anyone think of a reason that would make this kind of waste okay?  I can't.

Because you paid for it?  Because you are having a good time and not paying a lot of attention to what you are doing?  Because you see something that looks good and you get some, then see something else that looks good and something else. . . ?  Because you don't like what you got?

Because it is ok to make a mistake?  Because you can't imagine anyone else is busy monitoring your food consumption or lack thereof?  Because you know it ticks some people off and you enjoy it?  Because the food is there and you are unable to mail it to starving people?  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't pay attention to what others are doing because I don't want anyone paying attention to me going up thirds.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

even if they DIDNT pile the extra food on, where do you think all of the leftover buffet food goes?

@sunshine45  Some buffets I’ve been to donate the leftovers on the line to soup kitchens/homeless shelters. Maybe if they put up a sign at the start of the line that the food would be going there, folks would think twice about pigging out. 

* I will add my younger brother (died young from heart disease, diabetes, 75 lbs. overweight & never exercised) viewed a buffet as “I paid my money and it’s all you can eat, so everyone needs to back out of my way”.

@Shanus

we know lots of people in the food industry.

unfortunately, those that do buffets RARELY donate to a food bank or shelter......and often it is not allowed due to health reasons.

i do know that some employees are allowed to eat once the event is done and some are allowed to take things home. still, much of the leftover food gets thrown out. it may not be good, it may not be fair, but it is a fact.

@sunshine45  We had a huge charity event at our house w/ a catered buffet. Afterwards, we asked homeless shelter if they could accept the food & the caterers dropped off many pans of food downtown.

Honored Contributor

Does it matter?  It's true, that is what people do.  I think it's because the food looks so good that they over estimate what their stomachs can hold.  And I think some people don't want to go back for seconds so the load up their plates but honestly, who gives a flying fig.  I've entertained a lot over the years and I never worried about wasted food.  I always made certain that I had more than enough food for my guests because I know people do that and I'd rather have too much food than too little food.  Why people always harp on how we were raised?  I'd bet my next paycheck that the people who heap food on their plates and leave half of it there weren't raised to waste food...lol  People are so quick to blame mothers for every little thing.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Does it matter?  It's true, that is what people do.  I think it's because the food looks so good that they over estimate what their stomachs can hold.  And I think some people don't want to go back for seconds so the load up their plates but honestly, who gives a flying fig.  I've entertained a lot over the years and I never worried about wasted food.  I always made certain that I had more than enough food for my guests because I know people do that and I'd rather have too much food than too little food.  Why people always harp on how we were raised?  I'd bet my next paycheck that the people who heap food on their plates and leave half of it there weren't raised to waste food...lol  People are so quick to blame mothers for every little thing.

@chrystaltree  Great point and sort of funny too!  I mean really who could say "Well, I did that because it's what I did 30 years when I was a kid at home."  LOL!!!!  And you never grew out of it?  LOL!!!