Honored Contributor

Re: People who overfill their plates....

I have been to pot luck parties where some people really over fill their plates and then there is not enough food for everyone to get any. Those at the end of the line just go hungry watching other gorge themselves.

Yesterday we went to a potluck where supposedly there were 80 people. Assuming that was all couples - which , of course, it wasn't. But assuming that there should have been 40 dishes minimum - in fact there were about half that many. There was still plenty of food because it was too hot to want much to eat, but the point is - many people came and only brought a bottle of wine , but then ate an entire meal.

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

SMH!!!!!! Don't you ladies have anything else to do than watch how much food someone else takes? And on top of it, sit in judgement of those people??? MYOB!!!

Well, I can answer this one.  I was reaching for a slice of pizza behind a man that had loaded his plate.  He saw me reaching for the last (probably cold) piece and picked it up and dumped on his full plate.  He turned and said "Sorry Lady, maybe you can get something else or a fresh one later."  I won't tell you my response, but it was said with a sweet southern smile. 

I don't care what's on your plate, but don't reach behind you and take something that should have made it to my plate.  Tends to make me a little witchy.  Go feed your face and come back thru the line if you are still hungry after taking the whole buffet with you.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

I'm not fond of restaurant or wedding buffets and would never go to a pot luck dinner unless it was a family member gathering.

If I have no choice about the buffets I will only take what I like and know I will finish and go back if I want more.

I hate seeing plates of uneaten food being scraped into the garbage.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@hopi

I commented from the standpoint that I hate to see food wasted.

I'm not judging WHAT anyone eats.

But, I hate to see full plates of food sliding into the garbage.

No, I didn't pay for it, but I'm just commenting on the idea of wasted food.

My family always had enough to eat, but just barely.  That is why we were encouratged to not waste anything.

@Witchy Woman  Most buffets don't donate their left over food to a homeless shelter.  While it may be a nice thing to do, restaurants are in business to make money.  Unless they have someone willing to pack up the food & drive to the location it's probably not doing to happen...so the food could be wasted even from the left overs at the buffet bar in addition to peoples' plates.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

even if they DIDNT pile the extra food on, where do you think all of the leftover buffet food goes?

@sunshine45  Some buffets I’ve been to donate the leftovers on the line to soup kitchens/homeless shelters. Maybe if they put up a sign at the start of the line that the food would be going there, folks would think twice about pigging out. 

* I will add my younger brother (died young from heart disease, diabetes, 75 lbs. overweight & never exercised) viewed a buffet as “I paid my money and it’s all you can eat, so everyone needs to back out of my way”.

@Shanus

we know lots of people in the food industry.

unfortunately, those that do buffets RARELY donate to a food bank or shelter......and often it is not allowed due to health reasons.

i do know that some employees are allowed to eat once the event is done and some are allowed to take things home. still, much of the leftover food gets thrown out. it may not be good, it may not be fair, but it is a fact.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

My opinion is ... most people that do this grew up in large families & were never able to get enough to eat so they “load up” whenever they can ..... 🙃

Esteemed Contributor

My slender dad used to tell us -- don't let your eyes get bigger than your stomachs. 

I did learn Panera Bread restaurant daily donates bagles and bread to area shelters and pantries. Nice to hear this. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I don’t like buffets. Usually the food is lousy. I’m often one of those people not eating everything on my plate if I can’t eat it.
Buffets are not the best choice for food safety either. You’ll never see me at a place like Golden Corral. 🤢😂
Respected Contributor

I think people tend to take more than they need whether it's food or anything else if it's available. 

Honored Contributor

I also dislike this.  Especially in my home at buffets.  It is shameful to say, but one of my daughters, and her daughter does this.  They pile their plates , their kids plates.. We have to throw away good food,  kills me.  I  now remind them they can come for seconds.

i have found people who do this have problems with organizational skills. Just my thoughts.  They don't know what they want, they cant decide ...so they pile it on and sort when they get to table.

parents who do this with young children have told me, the kids need something to scoop up,or it goes all over.  My unspoken opinion on that is, either feed them yourself or teach them how to scoop up a sparse plate.  I mean they have to do it sooner or later in life.