Honored Contributor

Re: People who overfill their plates....

I think people intend to eat what they take, then maybe don't like the foods or fill up quick.  

Esteemed Contributor

Hmmm . . . when I leave a substantial amount on my plate it's only because what looked appetizing turned out to have a taste or texture I found inedible.

I'm not big on throwing away food, but I'm thoroughly over the idea I have to eat something I don't like just because it's on my plate. But i don't heap up 4 servings at once either.

Honored Contributor

even if they DIDNT pile the extra food on, where do you think all of the leftover buffet food goes?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Trying to get their money’s worth maybe...

I avoid buffets whenever possible.

Respected Contributor

Some people may fear not having enough with enough having no parameters in their logic.  Probably from somewhere in the reptilian brain.

Tell that T-Rex to come back and finish what it started.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

even if they DIDNT pile the extra food on, where do you think all of the leftover buffet food goes?

@sunshine45  Some buffets I’ve been to donate the leftovers on the line to soup kitchens/homeless shelters. Maybe if they put up a sign at the start of the line that the food would be going there, folks would think twice about pigging out. 

* I will add my younger brother (died young from heart disease, diabetes, 75 lbs. overweight & never exercised) viewed a buffet as “I paid my money and it’s all you can eat, so everyone needs to back out of my way”.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus

My brain stopped at "rang the bell" to announce the fresh rolls Cat LOL

That kinda says it all!

Hope you got yours!

Yes, to all you logical people, I know all the underlying causes of such things, but.....I am always surprised at the lack of restraint.

Someone mentioned that it was likely thrown out anyway, but that's not always true.

I worked as a server in my youth, and some things left at the buffet were repurposed for the next round.

This same place also used to dump the uneaten dinner rolls in a big bin in the kitchen and grated them for bread crumbs.  I'm sure it was a health code violation, but the owner was a semi-violent/crazy guy and I wasn't going to confront him.

Needless to say, I didn't work their very long.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45  Some buffets I’ve been to donate the leftovers on the line to soup kitchens/homeless shelters. Maybe if they put up a sign at the start of the line that the food would be going there, folks would think twice about pigging out. 

* I will add my younger brother (died young from heart disease, diabetes, 75 lbs. overweight & never exercised) viewed a buffet as “I paid my money and it’s all you can eat, so everyone needs to back out of my way”.

Sorry about your brother.

Why is everyone looking at someone's else's plate and judging.

Respected Contributor

SMH!!!!!! Don't you ladies have anything else to do than watch how much food someone else takes? And on top of it, sit in judgement of those people??? MYOB!!!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@hopi

I commented from the standpoint that I hate to see food wasted.

I'm not judging WHAT anyone eats.

But, I hate to see full plates of food sliding into the garbage.

No, I didn't pay for it, but I'm just commenting on the idea of wasted food.

My family always had enough to eat, but just barely.  That is why we were encouratged to not waste anything.