Honored Contributor

Re: People who lack Drive and Motivation

@Stardust2-

I am so sorry for all you have lost.

That is just so much to bear.

I hope you can be lifted up with kindness hereHeart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Stardust2  I'm so sorry for your pain. You are the best example here ,about why  being kind ,to someone who is suffering , is so important.  I don't know if I would ever have the courage, and grace, you have shown here tonight.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3wrote:

Many would kill for a coworker who is not mean or nasty.

My take on the opening post is that it was a big pat on her own back for having a different work style than this woman.

I've met some go-getters in my time who were as obnoxious as they come; I've met some laid-back people who just want to punch out at five that were perfectly nice human beings.

One of the worst things is to work with is people who stir the pot all the time, criticize and keep people angry and frustrated, and foment strife and  unhappiness in the workplace.  That makes work miserable for everyone.  Which is guess is sometimes the goal. Some people want everyone to be as unhappy as they are 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogswrote:

I share office space (I am self employed, the other person is employed by another company), we ony share space.....

I like her, she comes to work every day but does the bare minimum for her employer....(employer is NOT in this office) her dress is uber casual, and not that she has to dress up but clothes are ragged, snagged, short, etc.  Her dh works so she has money to purchase something new on occasion.

I don't understand it....how she can come to work daily and just exist...but I am guessing as long as she shows up for work, gets her job done, her job is safe.

This is so sad. You don't know her finances. To make a mention of her appearance is so demeaning to your co-worker. Even if I was motivated, I would stay away from you. This is a human being, you might try being one.

Respected Contributor

From experience:  Supervising an employee who believes they know how best to suspervise another worker is just as annoying as supervising the employee who needs extra attention or is going through a rough patch that any other worker is not privvy to.  

I appreciated the extra effort to do the job well but those employees were also appreciated for minding their own business.  They weren't paid to wonder about another worker's abilities, emotional status, or work perforance.  If this supervisor is discussing what is going on with one employee in private supervision meetings, that's bad form, too.

I understand frustrations with other workers but they also have a responsibility to not frustrate themselves by over-involvement. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This thread is mean spirited, we don't know why this supposed co-worker lacks ambition or drive.

Valued Contributor

The first thing that came to my mind when reading (to the OP) your post was depression. This girl may be depressed or maybe she is dealing with something like illness (her's or a loved one's). No one know's what other people are going through. It may take alot of effort just to motivate herself to go to work. I have learned over the year's never to judge another person because I don't know what struggle's other people are going through. I am self-employed and work everyday and try to stay upbeat, but I am also dealing with watching my husband and my father fight cancer. I can tell you that there are day's I want to crawl bed into bed and stay there, but I can't. You don't know what this girl might be going through. Please don't judge her.

Respected Contributor

@Stardust2Heart

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   My  experience years ago was that many times the supervisors ignore a lot.  Worked with a couple of people (in same office) that were extremely inefficient, but were never talked to about it or had anything mentioned in their evaluations.  These people just got a pass.  (wasn't that they were favored because they were flirts or beauties either--plain and older than some of the other staff)  I think some supervisors don't want to deal with problems that are their job to solve.

Honored Contributor

I feel that you should be quiet about your judgement of her.

Maybe she could post an assessment of you on a bb such as this one.  How would you feel about that?