Trusted Contributor

Re: People who lack Drive and Motivation

[ Edited ]

I highly doubt that goldenlocks. My spelling and grammar isn't perfect on a forum like this one, but when I'm at work I at least captialize unlike some people.

It's quite embarrassing when when you look at an email that was sent to a client and his/her name is not capitalized.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

@JBKO   you have indicated she is a nice person, it seems like she must have some good qualities ,to make you say that.

Trusted Contributor

Well cherry, in the past, I would have said she was nice. Now I can only say that is she is not mean. Those are two different things because a nice person would care enough to do her job correctly so as to not make things harder for her coworkers and clients she services. If something can be taken care of in 1-2 calls, instead of 3-4, all parties involved are better off. 

Trusted Contributor

I was actually quite optimist when she was hired; my former coworker, not so much. Now I understand why and maybe some of you will too.

Honored Contributor

I agree with many posters on this thread.

This thread was very interesting.  In many ways I have run into people like you describe or worse yet, taught (or was aware of) a student that was close to your description.

A person in the public doesn't have the advantages of having many professions looking out for them who are well versed in the "ills" of society as students do.

I wonder what her road has been that she has been beaten down to exhibit what you describe.  All I see is sadness.

Honored Contributor

Being with someone who isn't mean ,is a very good thing. You could have someone working with you ,that was a whizz ,and be hateful to you

I really don't know what we can tell you,  to make you see  ,that  even if you aren't happy with your situation, it is managements call to do something about it, and not yours.

I would be grateful, I wasn't working with someone terrible, do my job, and count my blessings, and work toward a promotion, if possible.

You weren't happy with your other work place either , if I recall correctly..You seem enthusiastic about this place ,and that is progress, and being with someone who isn't mean is a real plus

Do your best, and people will notice sooner, or later

Trusted Contributor

I'm happy in job. Almost everyone else is great, and to be honest, her ineptitude makes me look even better. That's not how I want things to be but it is evident since everyone from the other departments consults me before her. I just wanted to share my observation since I have never worked with someone like her. Lazy people of course. Classmates who don't do their part in a group project--we've all been there. This is different and to me worth noting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many would kill for a coworker who is not mean or nasty.

My take on the opening post is that it was a big pat on her own back for having a different work style than this woman.

I've met some go-getters in my time who were as obnoxious as they come; I've met some laid-back people who just want to punch out at five that were perfectly nice human beings.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I assume you do not have a lot of work experience, at least not a lot of experience in different work environments.

You will discover there is no perfect work environment. You will need to deal with all types of people, all kinds of personalities. The best policy, as others have said, is to keep your head down and do your job to the best of your ability, and stop worrying about how others work.

There is nothing wrong with a person who goes to work simply to earn a paycheck.  However, if others' work impacts your job in a very negative way, then protocol usually requires you have as pleasant a chat with that co-worker first and if that doesn't produce results, then go to a supervisor. Of course, this is all done at a risk to your job or standing.

If all else fails and you are unhappy, you have no choice but to look for another job.

Part of being successful in the workplace is learning how to negotiate all these obstacles and learning when to speak up and when to remain quiet -- learning how to choose your battles.

Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't call my coworker Lazy or looking down on them because they do make alot of mistakes.

And I'd just focus on my work rather than criticizing other people.